Series 2 single tuner, HDTV and comcast RNG110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 2 single tuner, HDTV and comcast RNG110

(pretty much a noob, so please go easy on me)

I recently purchased a Samsung HDTV.
    Hooked up the RNG110 box from comcast and the S2 TIVO...have no luck getting it to record the right channels.

I have the HDMI cord from the RNG110(cable box) directly to the HDTV Slot called HDI and the Component cords running from the RNG110(cable box) to the Tivo. Then the component from the Tivo into the HDTV component slot #1.

Set tivo swith to channel 3, the IR blasters are working, the TV channels change channels on the TV on the HDI input but the slot#1 component changes to channel 3 and always records channel 3.

Am I missing something, did I do something wrong or am I missing a step?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

What model TiVo? Really, no TiVo has component inputs . . .
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I meant composite (red, yellow and white)

I should have probably typed this from home so I can see my setup while typing and answering questions.

I have a TCD540040 or TCD54004B with a WeaKnees HD upgrade to 160GB.

thanks

Comment

OK - so why do you have HDMI to the TV, going around the TiVo? Is it because the TiVo isn't HD (which it isn't).

Assuming that's the case, you'll either need an HD TiVo and a CableCARD instead of your cable box, or you need to be content watching SD shows, since that's all the TiVo can handle.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Is there a way to record shows in SD on Composite slot#1 while watching shows in HD on the HDI slot?

Comment

HD TiVos can record in SD or HD; it depends on the channel being recorded. It can output in SD or HD, depending on how the program was recorded and what output method you are using.

Comment

can a series 2 Tivo record SD programming while I watch HD programming on a different input source? This is the difficulty I am having.

Comment

A Series2 won't output in HD, so the only way to do this is to have two sources of television signals...eg, an HD cable box feeding your TV directly and a separate source to the TiVo.

Comment

Jeff - This is what I am trying to accomplish...watching the TV on the cable to Cable box to HDMI to HDTV(HDI #1) and have the TIVO recording (SD)on the cable to tivo for Composite #1. The tivo is set to channel 3, but it only records channel 3 on the composite #1. The IR blaster seem to change the channel on the HDI #1 but the composite #1 always changes to channel 3 and records whatever is on channel 3.

Any help? Want to record kids shows and a few other shows in SD on the regular tivo and watch the HDTV for sports and different shows?

Comment

Your cable box can only tune to one station at a time, right? And the TiVo needs to change channels on the cable box to record....so how can you tune to an HD station on the cable box while at the same time have the cable box tune to a different SD station?

I think that this just isn't possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X