No announcement yet.

Tivo Mini and Vox losing connection to Tivo Romio constantly Error V87 and V878

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo Mini and Vox losing connection to Tivo Romio constantly Error V87 and V878

For months I have been getting the V87 and V878 error message when my Tivo minis (3) and my Tivo Romio keep losing connection. I have restarted the router, restarted the main Romio, completed forced connection, restarted the minis and Vox countless times but the issue keeps happening. Two years ago, I had a repairman come and replace all my splitters and coaxel connections throughout my house and for about 9 months, connections were never lost. I have since tried and tightened all connections multiple times to see if it was physical wiring issues but the problem continues to occur. Can anyone suggest some kind of solution?

What model Roamio is it?

Can you move over the ethernet for some or all units to try that?

My guess is that some of the coax cables in your walls are just degrading.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

It's a Roamio Series 4. I am not clear on what you mean by move over the ethernet for some or all units. Are you suggesting that I replace the ethernet cords for the units to see if that makes a difference? Also, my coax cable in the house was all replaced 19 years ago.

Comment

Are your Minis connected via ethernet or coax?

Comment

they are connected via ethernet through the coax cable using Actiontec adapters. it's a Roamio plus.

Comment

Minis all have MoCA. You can connect them right to the coax. No Actiontec adapter should be needed. Please try that.

Comment

I tried connecting via MoCA when I originally purchased the Roamio Plus but I could not get it to work on any of the Minis so I had to go to Ethernet via the Actiontec adaptors.

Comment

OK - then you pretty clearly have some coax issue in your house. I think you may need to replace segments and see what you can find.

Comment

Thank you for your ideas and feedback. I am not quite ready to do that as all coax is inside walls not in conduit in a 1936 home with plaster walls. Rewiring the coax would require extensive breaking of walls and repairing of plaster which I am trying to avoid if possible. Do you think that coax would degrade that significantly in 19 years despite having replaced all couplings and splitters to meet HD requirements just a year ago? I have the Roamio network setting with Ethernet and MoCA enabled. Do you think that might cause latency issues?

Comment

Nope - lots of people use Roamios with both ethernet and MoCA enabled. That shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mdickerson View Post
                      I tried connecting via MoCA when I originally purchased the Roamio Plus but I could not get it to work on any of the Minis so I had to go to Ethernet via the Actiontec adaptors.
                      As previously suggested, this does make it sound like there's something not quite right with your coax plant, so it would be worthwhile if you could detail just how all your devices connect to the coax, and how the various coax outlets connect to each other and the signal source, including through what specific components (splitter model #s, etc.), and, critically, identifying the location of your "PoE" MoCA filter. The brand & model # of the modem & router would also be good, plus the identity of your cable provider ... and whether your DVR requires a SDV tuning adapter.

A description of your setup can work, but a diagram, however roughly drawn, is usually most helpful. ("... 1000 words" and whatnot)

edit: p.s. Also, what TiVo OS version are your boxes running, TE3(20.*) or TE4(21.*)?

p.p.s. Further, it would be helpful to post either details or screenshots of the MoCA statistics as reported by the Roamio Plus (from the Network Status dialog pages, using Channel Down/Up, as needed to navigate).
                      Last edited by krkaufman; 02-01-2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Separate from the coax detail/schematic, if/when you can afford to lose tuning/recording/streaming functionality for your Roamio Plus, you might consider a temporary test ... direct-connecting a Mini via a short coax cable to the Roamio Plus' coax port, and configuring the Mini for a "MoCA client" connection. With the Roamio Plus still configured as a MoCA bridge and the home's coax removed from the equation, there should be no reason for the Mini not to connect as a MoCA client via direct connection.

(Just remember that the Roamio Plus has been disconnected from the signal source, when testing, so the Mini won't be able to tune live TV; previous recordings should still be playable, and the Mini should be able to stream from Internet services and connect to the TiVo service.)

Comment

OK. Yes, I just hooked up a mini exactly like you outlined about (thank you!). It works connecting directly to the Roamio Plus through MoCA client mode. I can see all of the recordings and can force a download via the internet. Now what I am looking for? Do I wait to see if it drops? I am still working on putting together a diagram of my setup as best I can.

Comment

The Tivo OS is TE(21.10.2.v9-A93-6-A93

Comment

Here are screen shots of the MoCa Network Status
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X