Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cable Company did away with CableCards - what do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Company did away with CableCards - what do I do?

My cable company (Viya, in the US Virgin Islands) came up with a new system (which they call TV+), which unfortunately no longer supports CableCARD's. Of course I now have to use their "CloudDVR" converter boxes, which are terrible! It's like going back 20 years!! What are my options???

Sorry - TiVo doesn't have any options for you any longer.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the reply - I can't be the first person to experience this withdrawal pain, is this a common problem?

Comment

I have a similar issue. Optimum and Xfinity in NJ no longer support cable cards. I have 5 tivo units that utilize cable cards and the ones I have are grandfathered in, however both companies have been after me to upgrade to fiber optic but if I do so my Tivo boxes are goners. So I have to settle for inferior connectivity and internet speeds, in order to keep my Tivo boxes. This seems to be a trend with most cable companies and I imagine this will keep getting to big a bigger problem. Shocking that Tivo has no plans to modernize technology in order to be a viable vendor in the future. I have been a loyal Tivo'er since the first one came out and I have upgraded many times but how can Tivo just dismiss this issue and be non responsive to loyal clients?

Comment

Originally posted by denodrac View Post
          I have a similar issue. Optimum and Xfinity in NJ no longer support cable cards. I have 5 tivo units that utilize cable cards and the ones I have are grandfathered in, however both companies have been after me to upgrade to fiber optic but if I do so my Tivo boxes are goners. So I have to settle for inferior connectivity and internet speeds, in order to keep my Tivo boxes. This seems to be a trend with most cable companies and I imagine this will keep getting to big a bigger problem. Shocking that Tivo has no plans to modernize technology in order to be a viable vendor in the future. I have been a loyal Tivo'er since the first one came out and I have upgraded many times but how can Tivo just dismiss this issue and be non responsive to loyal clients?
          I'm honestly not sure if there's a way for TiVo to work with companies like these. I believe they restrict their signal to only work with their hardware, so I don't think there's any way for TiVo to interact with them at this point.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

What has to be understood is that these companies and many others are replacing their coaxial cables with fiber optic, which then connects to their hardware and sends out a wireless signal to modems and routers. There is no longer a wire involved going from room to room.

Comment

Working...
            X