Tivo suddenly cannot connect to internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo suddenly cannot connect to internet

I have a series 3 TCD746320 that connected (until this morning) to a wireless network in my home. This connection had been fine for months. Then today it would not connect. And this might be why: I discovered this morning that my wireless network had some become unsecured overnight. No idea how or why, but I do know that this same thing happened with the network at least once before, three years ago. Now, as then, I reinstalled the network. That restored the internet connection for the two computers in the house, but my Tivo still cannot connect. Port Config, DNS and Internet Connection tests all fail. I'm pretty sure I've been down this road before; it feels mighty familiar. But I lamely did not make (adequate) notes of how the problem was resolved. So, I would appreciate any help you all can provide here. It seems like this ought to be an easy enough fix, I just do not know what the fix is. Thanks for any help.

Best,
    David

Are you sure it's the same password and the same level of encryption?

Have you tried just rebooting the TiVo?

Sounds like you need a new router there.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Michael. I'm pretty sure nothing changed when I reinstalled the wireless network. I did unplug and reboot the Tivo but that did not work. Do I maybe need to reconfigure the Tivo N adapter? I'm reluctant to go out and buy a new router since it otherwise seems to be working...other than the two occasions of my network becoming unsecured. :-)

David

Comment

I'd be leery of any network router that just loses its password. Frankly, I'd wonder if someone is hacking in and opening it up to the world. I've just never heard of that.

Do you have a password to set up the router? Have you changed that recently? Do you always configure the router over SSL (HTTPS)?

Comment

I see what you mean. We did have some sort of power outage overnight, but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the network losing security. Strikes me as odd. I do have a password for router set up but have not changed it recently. I have a disc with router install software; other than that I do not mess with the router.

So should I change the network password or just go with a new router? Any recommendations on good routers that work well with the Tivo AN0100 adapter?

Comment

I really don't have current info on routers, beyond that I really like the Apple Airport Extreme:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0057AVXJA

Comment

Working...
            X