No connection to the internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No connection to the internet

Ok... so I've had Tivo for about a year now and have been living with a problem that I'd like to finally fix. I have two Tivo Premiere boxes, both connected to my wireless router through ethernet Wireless adapters from Tivo (both set to Client mode). The wireless router is a D-Link DIR-628 Wireless N Router with a secured network, connecting through the push button on the router, since I don't know how to set the wireless network and password in Tivo (it's easier to connect my iPhone to the network than my Tivo!)

Additionally, I have a PC computer connected wirelessly and a wireless printer as well as several devices that will connect periodically (laptops, iPhones, etc.) The PC computer pretty much never has a connection problem. Sometimes the laptop does if there are a lot of devices pulling data, so I think that's a bandwidth issue.

I can get both Tivos to connect to the internet by restarting the router and Tivo. After a small amount of time, sometimes within an hour the same day, they lose internet connection -- not at the same time or due to any pattern I can figure out, and the only way to get them to reconnect is to restart the Tivo devices (even then it doesn't always work) - sometimes, I need to restart the router as well, sometimes several times.

Tivo thought it was because I was using dynamic IP addresses, I switched to static IPs, but that hasn't helped.

It's really frustrating because one of the reasons I wanted Tivo was to have whole-home DVR and transfer shows between devices, but since I can never seem to get them both connected to the internet when I want to transfer something, I never do it... not sure if it's a settings thing in Tivo or a router problem. Tivo blames the router or Time Warner, Time Warner blames Tivo -- I'm stuck in the middle. Would move to wired connections but one of the devices is upstairs and the connection is downstairs so that would be a real pain...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Marc

Sure sounds like the problem is NOT the TiVO if you are having the same problem on both units. I'd suggest trying a different router or perhaps trying G adapters just to see whether that changes anything (which would suggest the problem might be with the Ns or the N adapter setup). You might also try one wired and one wireless to see if that changes anything.

Comment

Thanks Jeff. I got a USB G Adapter and that's much more to my liking -- I was able to enter the SSID and network password directly into Tivo and connect to my router. It's been stable for a few days so far. I'll give it a few more days, then pick up another G adapter for my other unit. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
      X