wireless n upgrade benifits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless n upgrade benifits

I currently have 3 tivo series 2 units connected with wireless g adapters. I move movies from one tivo to another quite frequantly. Is there a speed benitfit in transfers if I upgrade to n adapters? Do the USB to ethernet dangles slow down the data rate much?

Sure - the Ns are faster, even with the ethernet involved. But you'd need to have an N router also. And, given that you've got Series2 units, I don't know that they can support a much faster transfer speed.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

This may not be practical, but don't rule out wired connections for transferring. I have one wireless-G adapter that I swap between two 649080 TiVos for updating Guide info, and it's fast enough when I just want to download something to my notebook, but if I want to move a lot of stuff, e.g. to archive, I have a 50' network cable I run to the TiVo (and I hook up my notebook with another).

I keep saying I'll punch holes in the walls (the office is between the LR and BR) but never get to it, and having the cable there for a few hours isn't unbearable.

=aw

Comment

Yup - wired is the gold standard. If you can run a wire, you get the fastest, most stable connection, with the least latency.

Comment

Also, TiVo website says this about the wireless-N adapter:

Compatible with all TiVo Series3™, TiVo HD/HD XL, and Premiere/Premiere XL/Premiere Elite boxes; not compatible with the DIRECTV DVR with TiVo
          Also remember that you'll need one for each TiVo which is $170 retail (2-pack) + $90 (1-pack). Or you can swap them, I leave a short USB-to-mini-USB cable plugged into each TiVo and just connect the adapter to that cable when I switch machines.

=aw

Comment

Why bother with N adapters unless you're getting two? Otherwise, you can't really take advantage of the fast transfer speeds.

Comment

You're right you need at least two.

What I was trying to say (but I worded my reply badly) was the OP could buy two n-adapters and swap them between the 3 TiVos as needed, or get just one for a unit that's unreachable by cable or for transfer to a computer.

With my limited setup (two TiVos one adapter) I move the adapter for program info and for downloading to my notebook, but when I want more than G speed while not bothering with two cables, I'll run cable to the TiVo and get N speed to my notebook.

Bottom line, I was trying to say he'd need a minimum of 2 n-adapters for transfer between TiVos or a minimum of 1 for transfer to computer.

The other thing not mentioned is that while the N is faster than G, when we're talking Series 2 units the actual speed increase (measured in minutes) is much less because it's only SD. I found B speeds felt unbearable when I was using my old B router for while, but they weren't actually that bad unless I was waiting for something. SD at basic quality is like 750MB per hour as I recall (don't have a file handy).

Even if an N-adapter is compatible with the Series 2, and even if the box can pump data fast enough for the adapter, it may not be worth the cost. I recall doubling speeds (unrelated to TiVos) with faster modems and it was great to go from 2hr to 1hr, and from 1hr to 30min, but going from 30min to 15min just didn't provide the same thrill.

=aw
              Last edited by tcmlover; 03-02-2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X