TiVo Series 1, External Modem Kit, and MagicJackPlus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo Series 1, External Modem Kit, and MagicJackPlus

I have an ancient Series 1 TiVo which I'm nursing along because it supports my Dish receiver (and I dislike non-Tivo DVRs and don't want to upgrade to a 211 or 722 from Dish.)

The TiVo's internal modem died years ago and I've been using the weaKnees external modem kit ever since, with reliable results.

I moved recently (got engaged) and decided to try to save a few bucks on a tivo-only land line by switching to a MagicJackPlus. Magic Jack's website has one reference to TiVo, which basically says they support modems but won't support TiVo users, call Tivo for assistance.

It flatly doesn't work. The best I can tell, after 2 weeks of hair pulling, is that MagicJack is forcibly disconnecting any modem call that lasts over 25 minutes. I've go so far as to run a packet sniffer on my network and capture an entire call session. I can see their proxy server sending a SIP BYE message in it, which causes the modem to hang up, but the TiVo doesn't notice the call has dropped for another 30 minutes or so before it times out.

Note that short test calls generally work with a 90% success rate. But any call that lasts over 25 minute always, always fails. In 3 weeks of fighting with it, my TiVo has only managed to complete a real call once, the day I bought it home from using my Dad's land line to get it through guided setup for my Dish receiver. That call was pretty short, and it was the only one that succeeded.
    Since then, every single daily call has been a failure, with TiVo saying the call was interrupted.

My question is: Does ANYONE have a TiVo calling out with a modem and a MagicJackPlus? Successfully? Or is MagicJack.com simply lying on their website about it working with TiVo?

What dialing prefix are you using? It really doesn't seem like the call should take that long.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Dialing prefix

,#396,,2172585360
      tone
      off
      off

The phone number is the Mattoon local number for the Tivo service.
      I use the override because I need the 217 prefix and the tivo wasn't dialing it.
      Last edited by gyles19; 10-05-2012, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Try:

,#319,, 2172585360

That should double the speed of the modem, and might avoid the problem (19200 baud versus 9600 baud).
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Doubling the speed?

Won't I have to reprogram the modem to grok 19200 instead of 9600? I tried changing those speed values (using info I found on a different Weaknees page but none of them worked. At the time I assumed it was because the modem kit comes pre-configured to use 9600 as a fixed default. If that's not the cause, I can certainly try changing the codes.

Comment

You also need to get rid of that call waiting prefix. If you really want to keep it, then you need to change the string to:

,#319,,*70,,2172585360

And set the call waiting prefix to None.

Comment

Working...
            X