Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Directv DVR absolutely necessary for HD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directv DVR absolutely necessary for HD?

(First, I just found these forums, so if these questions have been asked and answered a brazilian times, I apologize. I looked for a direct answer, but I couldn't find one. If somebody could point me in the direction of answered questions, I'd appreciate it.)

I'm a TiVo-holic from way back, but I'm also a Directv customer. Recently, I was told by Directv that I HAVE to switch to their DVR in order to get HD channels, giving up the HD TiVo that I love and adore. Directv came and installed the DVR, and I hate, hate, HATE the thing, for too many reasons to list. So here are my questions.

1. Is it really necessary to switch to the Directv DVR in order to get HD?
    2. If I ditch the Directv unit and go back to my beloved TiVo, will I be unable to get all the Directv HD channels, or only certain ones?
    3. Is TiVo planning on releasing a unit that will work with Directv?

Thanks a bunch.

1 - You can get the new HD channels with the H20 (non-DVR) or you can get just the older HD channels with the HR10-250 or an older non-DVR.

2 - Only the new MPEG4 HD channels will be unavailable. We haven't heard of plans to change the format of the older HD channels, but that could happen.

3 - Nope.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

1. Thanks.
      2. Thanks again.
      3. ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Curse you, Directv!

Looks like I won't be getting the new HD channels. TiVo is that important to me.

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it.

Comment

One option is to run both the HR10 and HR20 into two different inputs of your TV, and watch the HR20 only when you have to.

Comment

HD channel list

[QUOTE=WK-Michael;4471]1 - You can get the new HD channels with the H20 (non-DVR) or you can get just the older HD channels with the HR10-250 or an older non-DVR.

2 - Only the new MPEG4 HD channels will be unavailable. We haven't heard of plans to change the format of the older HD channels, but that could happen./QUOTE]

Question- Does anyone have or know where i can find information on which specific channels are the hr-10 compatable. I have looked on the dtv site and the hd channel listing does not specify which are mpg2 vs the new mpg4.

I am considering upgrading to HD with directv. I currently have SD service and had my broken tivo box swapped out for the DVR "plus" and ABSOLUTLY HATE IT! recording options are less, the bright colors of the menu make even more challenging to read. But even more I am no longer able to toggle between the two tunners when watching live tv. I could go on, and on, and on.

So, I am trying to compare what will be available to me with dtv HR-10 w/tivo or swithing to cable and tivo.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. -Miki

Comment

This is our latest list:

http://www.weaknees.com/new-directv-hd-stations.php

Comment

HR10-250 obsolete

Yesterday (11/12/07) I had a person at Directv tell me that the HR10-250 will not receive ANY HD programming after December 31st. I find that hard to believe but he was insistent that this would happen. Have you heard this?

Comment

Originally posted by andyp3 View Post
                Yesterday (11/12/07) I had a person at Directv tell me that the HR10-250 will not receive ANY HD programming after December 31st. I find that hard to believe but he was insistent that this would happen. Have you heard this?
                No, we have not heard this. We do know that DIRECTV reps spread misinformation constantly...they have been doing it for years.

Comment

Can we get a Direct TV TIVO HD DVR instaed of stupid DIRECT TC HD DVR?

From the weaknees website :
                  We also have stock of DirecTV HD TiVo DVRs in a variety of sizes.

So if this is the case why wouldnt i buy the tivo model to get hd dvr ability ... or am i missing something here?
                  Aussiefox.

Also , would a non dvr Direct Tv HD receiver and a tivo stand alone HD box work together ?, wouldnt that be the best solution?.
                  Last edited by Aussiefox; 11-23-2007, 12:21 PM.

Comment

There's no way to use a non-DVR DirecTV receiver with an HD TiVo, sorry to say. HD TiVos can't just use a receiver as a set-top box. They only work with CableCARDs.

If you get the TiVo model, you can't get the newer MPEG4 channels, that's all.

Comment

This is a dilemma!

I was about to pick up the phone and 1) order new HD service from DirecTV and 2) order a new DVR from Weaknees when my brain kicked in and I realized that having a DVR that actually works is more important to me than good picture quality.

Way back when my Sony/TiVo SAT-T60 receiver died and I replaced it with a DTV-brand DVR (R11?) I learned how much better the TiVo worked. What a POS that R11 was. I ran the R11 thru a trash compactor, melted what was left in a blazing hot fire, and buried the ashes under a large rock. Then I bought a new TiVo-brand DVR -- which works great, but no HD.

After reading this thread, I guess I won't be upgrading to HD anytime soon. I just couldn't exist without my TiVo and from what I read online, it doesn't appear that DirecTV has figured out how to build a reliable DVR yet.

I'm just going to put another log on the fire and enjoy my Weaknees-enhanced TiVo and wait for the fiber optic cable guy. He's offering 160 channels, 3Mb internet, unlimited local calling, and 1000 LD minutes for just $99/mo. Sounds like DirecTV's loss.

Comment

Let me say I love my DirecTV Tivo series 2 boxes for SD. I made the switch to DirecTV with HD service a few months ago and hated the HR20. I bought a Tivo HD for cable from Weaknees and loved the functionality of the Tivo system although it was painfully slower than the series 2. The biggest problem was with the Cable service itself. Cablevision on Long Island offers 37 HD channels of which I don't get quite a few since I don't get premium other than HBO. Did I really need Kung Fu HD??? They didn't have Discovery HD, SCI-FI HD, History HD. Oh yeah did I mention no NFL network?

I realized that 70 HD channels with 100 by years end was more important than the Tivo system itself. I still have my Series 2 box for DirecTV which I use for all non HD recording, but DirecTV sent me the new HR21 which is really fast and works really well. It can also be networked if you have ViiV?!? The one thing I miss is the dual tuner capability without actually recording a program. Other than that I have learned to live with the remote (which I am slowly learning).

All this coupled with the fact that I hate the Dolan family who owns Cablevision, MSG, the Knicks, Rangers, and woudn't carry YES for a full season. They'll never get any of my money again.

Comment

I have the Tivo HR10-250. Much like others, I hate the directv DVR. I'm aware that I can't get the new HD programing but recently I've been getting a scroll on my screen that my local HD channels are going away and I need to switch to DirecTv to recieve ANY HD channels.
                          Is this true?
                          Has anyone found a solution?
                          If true, when would this go into effect?

Comment

It does sound like DirecTV is getting serious about cutting come HD channels that are in MPEG2 at this point. They want to get the number of older units down before they make a cut, and the rumors are that people are generally unwilling to make the switch, so this message is scrolling in order to push people.

Comment

I am facing the major problem hr10-250 model receiver owners will have to deal with. I love my machine but also want the HD channels. Ironically, for a brief month or so while DTV was fooling with channel changes I did get several HD channels. I subscribe for all the HBO and Showtime channels so get two HD channels already. After a short time all but the two HBO and Showtime HD channels were gone. My question is if I opt to run my hr10 plus one of the DTV HD receivers how are these hooked up? I have a Samsung TV with plenty of inputs I will obviously have to get the newer satellite dish as well. I have an eight output multi-switch but I understand the newer dishes come with a four output switch. If there someone or someplace where I can get an idea of how this all comes together? Also, while I hold my breath, which of the DTV receivers comes closest to the hr10?
                              Thanks for any and all help,
                              Kevin Scott
                              Last edited by piobaire; 06-01-2008, 07:03 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Working...
                              X