WK shipping noisy disk drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WK shipping noisy disk drives

WK just repaired my S3. I've got good news and bad news.

The good news: Great customer service. They simply shipped me a new S3 as soon as my return arrived. Wow. I was only out of service 1 day. This is amazing.

The bad news: My replacement S3 is much noiser than the old one. Same disk size: 750GB. It has a vibration, which I recognize as a disk drive motor vibration, that is really outrageous. You can hear the hum. You can feel the vibration by touching the box. You can even feel the vibration by touching the side of the shelving unit! I reduced the noise somewhat by putting a rubber pad above and below the S3, and putting a weight on top, but I can still hear it. The only way to fix this is to put a better (quieter) drive inside, or maybe mount the S3 under water.

I hate loud disk drives. I have always hated loud disk drives. I've been on a crusade against loud disk drives for 20 years. That's why I buy only Seagate drives. That's what I thought WK was doing too. Apparently not.

I haven't opened up the thing yet to see what brand of disk drive is inside.

So what's the deal, WK? Did you go over to the dark side, or what?
Working...
X