Tivo Menu Illegible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo Menu Illegible

My Tivo S3 can show live TV stations, and the Info and Guide functions work. But when I push the TIVO menu button, I get a half-second of visible menu and then the screen goes all weird horizonal lines, and I can't access programs I've recorded, or the reset functions. I have rebooted the S3 three times with no improvement.

I had the S3 working with my 32" Sony Bravia digital tv because my old 36" SD tv was broken. When the repairman fixed the 36" set, he hooked the S3 to that set. At first the menu function worked with cable. But after the repairman had left, when I screwed in the cable for the separate antenna, the menu was illegible when I tried to set the S3 to work with both cable and antenna. The other inputs to this tv work fine--the problem isn't with the tv set, and this antenna worked fine with the 32" set.

The other weirdness is that I can play randomly-selected recorded programs. When I push the Tivo menu button and then push Select repeatedly, it goes to the recorded programs and plays whatever it lands on. The recorded programs, in other words, are fine--only the menu access is illegible so the machine is really not usable.

Has anyone had this happen, and is there a way to fix it?

John T. Sapienza, Jr.
    301-622-1928

SN 3QD0J844

I think we've corresponded by email and found the problem to be a bad TV. If that changes, please email or post back.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Problem Solved!

I have an old (but great) Sony 36" XBR CRT television. I had my Tivo Series 3 set to Video Output Format "Native" and the technician said it was transmitting 720p to a TV that could only process1080i. Switching to 1080i Hybrid made the menus work again. I'm afraid this comes under "user error" from ignorance--it never occurred to me to check this.

John Sapienza 11/02/2007

Comment

OK - glad it's working. Hybrid is a new mode on that unit, and it does seem to do wonders.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X