Tivo 2 post upgrade/post software update help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo 2 post upgrade/post software update help

Hello, folks. First post so I thought I'd start off bitching. (Just kidding.)

Okay...so my Tivo 2 started doing random reboots a few months ago. I browsed about and found Weaknees, got a new hard drive, installed it, and life was good again. It even got rid of this annoying, stuttery, 3 second digital garbage before the picture would settle in between channel changes (which didn't happen at all the first 8, 10 months of ownership). This was about a week ago.

So, a couple of nights ago, the Tivo locks up and I got nervous and potentially pissed since I thought that life was good. I unplugged it and let it reboot. When it came up again, I got the "software update, may take an hour or more" message. So, I just turned off the TV and let it do it's thing. A couple hours later, I turn it back on and it's back! So, I figured everything was good. When I changed the channel, the annoying, stuttery problem was back.

When I Googled the problem, it took me to a link on the official Tivo forums and I found that a bunch of people got the same problem after software upgrades. This must have happened the first time I got an upgrade and it happened again with the new hard drive. A Tivo rep posted on that thread asking for specific info from people but then never returned to the thread.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone get it solved?

Thanks in advance!

What model TiVo is it? What software version do you have now?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hi Michael. Thanks for the reply.

Software: 9.1-01-2-540

Model: TCD540080

Thanks again.

Comment

OK - you should maybe redo Guided Setup. Beyond that, see if your cable company can send down an update to your cable box.

Comment

I'll try these things when I get a moment.

As an added bonus, the Tivo locked up and rebooted about an hour or so ago. If this continues, could it be the new hard drive?

Thanks once again.

Comment

It definitely could be the drive.

Comment

Okay...if it continues, I'll definitely have to get a replacement drive. If this is the case, how long do I have before I have to return it for replacement?

Thanks. Merry Christmas.

Comment

Our drives have a six month warranty by default, and an optional two year extended warranty.

Comment

Great. Thanks for the help, Michael.

Comment

UPDATE: So, I haven't had any crashes since my last message. But I'm remaining vigilant in light of the 6 month warranty.

I did figure out that the problem I originally stated with switching channels only occurs on channels 100 and under, something that I have in common with the folks on the TiVo forums.

I may end up trading the cable box itself back to the cable company. I've had it for probably a decade + and I'm likely due for an upgrade. (I did the same recently with my cable modem.)

Comment

Good plan. You can't really go wrong with a new cable box.

Comment

Working...
                      X