HDVR2 ongoing problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDVR2 ongoing problems

Ok, I've been reading posts and I think I have things figured out, but I want to check. My series 2 Tivo (Hughes) is acting wonky. It has been freezing up (hard, with no option but pulling the plug) and/or rebooting for several months, originally infrequently but it did it three times yesterday, once in the middle of playing back a program. Yesterday it suddenly refused to send audio through the optical output (but AUX1 output worked just fine).

Additionally, it has been giving me 'searching for signal' errors and it really breaks up on one tuner in certain channel ranges. Swapping cables seems to do nothing. So...

Do I just punt and buy a new unit, since it seems like at least one tuner is bad and the hard drive is failing (again, after about two years on the new one)? Might need a new power supply too? Cheaper to fix or replace?

Thanks

Rob

Hard to know - those problems actually could all be hard drive issues. So you might try a new hard drive, and just return it if it doesn't do the trick, and then get a unit.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      Hard to know - those problems actually could all be hard drive issues. So you might try a new hard drive, and just return it if it doesn't do the trick, and then get a unit.
      Thanks for the advice, I'll try the hard drive first.

Rob

Comment

Similar problems not entirely fixed by new hard drive

I recognize the symptoms described by littlefrog. My Hughes DirecTivo unit was locking up repeatly a couple of months ago. I ordered teh weaknees replacement hard drive. My 10-year-old installed it.

Worked fine for several weeks, but now it is starting to lock up again (3 time yesterday). Won't respond to the remote. The only way to get it going again is to unplug it, and let it go thru its "powering up" process.

Also getting intermittent jiggle/dropout of picture on Sat2 input. But that may just be a cable (or did I mess something up when I had the box open?)

Is there any chance this is a bad power supply.

I love my Generation 2 Tivo/DirecTV, and if I can't fix it myself, I will send it in. I don't want to lose it.

Thanks

Comment

That sounds like maybe another bad drive. It's possible the power supply is hurting the drives. Are the symptoms almost identical with the old and new drives, or are they different?

Comment

Well... My problem was not solved by the new hard drive. Or at least not all of it. The machine doesn't freeze up or skip anymore, but Sat In2 is still shot. I've tried swapping the cables (several times on a few different channels) and it still doesn't help. This was within 10 minutes of putting the new drive in, I doubt it had time to become corrupted unless it was bad to begin with.

Next step? I'm assuming the second tuner is failing, so can I just replace it or should I just buy a whole new box?

Comment

We can do tuner repairs - they aren't simple replacements, but involved swapping chips on the motherboard. We also have replacement units here:

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-tivo.php

Comment

I could change out the chips myself, but I don't even have time to watch my Tivo, much less fix one now! *grin* I'll just buy a new one without a drive and put the new drive in, since my wife spent two hours last night reprogramming all the season passes.

Is there a way to recycle the old one properly? Do you take trade-ins?

Thanks

Rob

Comment

We don't take trade-ins, sorry. You can to your local recycling/refuse company about how they prefer to recycle electronics.

Comment

Working...
                  X