Strange sound issues with series 2 TiVo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange sound issues with series 2 TiVo

My series 2 TiVo just started having some very odd sound quality issues.

Programs previously recorded sound fine when played back from the TiVo both over the TV and surround sound system.

However, while attempting to watch live tv over the TiVo the sound has a high pitched short echo. I have changed all cables even replacing the s-video and RCA with a single coaxial cable and this problem persisted. When going directly from the dishnetwork receiver to the TV quality is normal.

What the heck is causing this problem? The HD in the TiVo is about a year old replacement from WeaKnees, so it shouldn't be the problem. I am stumped.

Any help greatly appreciated.

That sounds like some strange issue with interference, but if you've changed all the cables, all we can think of would be a motherboard issue.

Have you tried the unit in a different location entirely?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I was afraid of motherboard failure as well. I changed all the cables and even tried the second feed from my dishnetwork receiver, same result. When I opened it up and looked for obvious signs of internal damage I found nothing.

Disgusted I put it back together and hooked it up in its initial configuration. When powered back up everything worked fine. I guess the lesson there is power cycle before massive cable swapping.

If it would've been a motherboard issue is there any way to fix that and preserve the lifetime membership. I am on a second HD and power supply both.

Thanks!

Comment

If you want to preserve the lifetime with a motherboard problem, you'd have to send it to TiVo for a paid swap, and they'd move the lifetime over.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          a paid swap, and they'd move the lifetime over.
          Cool, I didn't even know that this was an option. Will they still do this if the case has been opened up and HD and power supply changed out?

Comment

You have no warranty if you open the unit, but if you pay them, they should be able to help.

Comment

Working...
            X