Hooking up to LCDHD TV...HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooking up to LCDHD TV...HELP

I have had a Directv DVR R10w/Tivo that I purchased from Weaknees. Currently have that plus Panasonic DVD recorder and a VCR connected to Panasonic TV. Just purchased a Samsung LCDHD tv model 4061. Geek Squad does not connected DVRs and instruction booklet doesn't show how to connect Satellite.
    It has "connect a dvd player/set-top box, connect amplifier/dvd home theatre,connect a vcr, s-video connection, connect a camcorder, connect a digital audio system, connect a PC"..........does anybody know how in the world I am to connect my Directv DVR???????
    Please help.

Use the S-video and the red/white audio.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      Use the S-video and the red/white audio.
      Thanks, Michael, and just so you know I didn't hook all the other stuff up to my current tv...my nephew did, so I'm not all that hook-up literate. LOL You said to use the s-video and red and white audio.......do I assume that the yellow is for video and that I don't use it because of the S-vid?
      do I then hook-up my DVD recorder with other connections? and will I still be able to record to DVD what I have saved on my DVR by recording while I watch? Vewwwy important to me that I can still do that. I appreciate your response to my plight.....thanks again, Michael

Comment

Right - the yellow is component video, and it's not needed since you have the S-video, which is a higher quality connection.

You might also need a yellow/white/red cable going to your DVD recorder to make recording DVDs from the TiVo work. In some cases, you don't need that because the DVD is connected to an output from your TV.

Comment

Michael,
          Praise the Lord.......we're all hooked up and viewing our new tv. Ran the s-vid and red and white like you said....also went and got the red, blue and green cables...ran them and another red and white from the dvd recorder. Happy to report that even the dvd recorder works just like it did with the old tv. We are happy campers tonight! Thank you so much for your help. Perhaps this thread will be helpful to others in our situation.

Comment

Wonderful - glad we could help!

Comment

Hey, Michael....now I have another question......will hooking up an HDMI cable bring in an even better picture? My husband would love to get HD channels, but, you know what......I can't stand the Directv DVRs and refuse to use theirs. We watched Winter X Games on our new tv and I'd swear the picture was HD. It was much better than the other channels. Is there a possibility that shows that they say are broadcast in HD come thru that way without having an HD SAT receiver?

Comment

The picture should look very, very good since it's digital to the TV with HDMI, but I can't see how it could be HD.

Comment

so, I could hook up my DVR and TV with HDMI cables and get a better picture? Or were you referring to my comment about the Winter X games picture? Learning as I go........when will TIVO make a DVR that is compatible with Directv HD? Or when will TIVO agree to let Directv use their technology?

Comment

P.S. I haven't hooked up an HDMI cable yet...still using S-Vid

Comment

If you don't have an HD receiver from DIRECTV, you aren't getting HD, however great the picture may have looked.

I certainly hope to see a new HD DVR from TiVo for DIRECTV, but we aren't counting on it.

Comment

OK, so after purchasing an HDMI cable, I find out my DVR does not have a place to plug in an HDMI cable(should have looked first I guess). I'll cruise the forum to see if someone has an answer to whether I can even use this stupid cable now.

Comment

Working...
                        X