Tivo and Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo and Cable

Am thinking of dumping Directv. The cable company in town is very small, they do not offer DVR's. Its a digital system. They say that a Tivo will work but offer no further information. My questions?

1. Will Tivo in fact work with every cable system?

2. How does the Tivo get programming information. I have heard DSL but am unable to find out if my podunk cable system provides this information. Baja Broadband is the cable company.

3. How does the tivo control the cable box. I know serial is an option but the cable chickie didn't know.

4. If I have to use the ir system does that really work.

5. Does it make sense to get an HD TIVO to rid myself of the cable box and have the option to record two digital signals at once.

6. Will I hate myself for leaving Directv

7. Will I win the lottery so I can pay someone to worry about all this.

8. Do I have to sacrifice a family pet to get all this to work.

Richard Jellicoe

1 - In the US, yes. Some use SDV which can limit the stations until TiVo catches up with that technology, which should be soon.

2 - Either by phone line or broadband. Either way, it gets it from TiVo and it doesn't get it directly from the cable company.

3 - If it's HD, no cable box needed. If it's SD, it uses IR or serial cable.

4 - Yes, you just need to anchor the IR blaster to the unit. But it's solid.

5 - Definitely - best units by far.

6 - You gain and you lose. You gain so much in the networking features that most people feel it's worth the tradeoff.

7 - I can almost guarantee it.

8 - First born child has better results.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks!

Thank You very much for all the information and following along with my numbering format. Really very good help. Now just to figure out which child to sacrifice...

Comment

Working...
      X