Getting rid of DTivo - Need to save files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of DTivo - Need to save files

I am getting rid of Directv and with it, my DTivo. Don't get me wrong, I love my DVR, I just don't like losing my signal every time it rains here. Bottom line is that I have a lot of shows on the HR10-250 that I would like to save to hard drive and be able to burn later. IIs there some file conversion utilities to switch the Tivo files to MPEGs.

What I was thinking of doing is just cloning the current HR10-250 drive (so I can turn the unit in when I cancel) and then using some utility to decode/convert the file type on the PC. Is that doable? If so, what is the best utility for this?

Thanks!

Frankly, the best way to keep these files is just to keep the unit running. Short of that, you'd need some way to digitize component video, which is pretty tough.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I guess I am confused, these are files on an internal hard drive that are in tivo format - correct?

So why wouldn't I just be able to copy the drive, navigate to the requisite files, and convert them from .whatever to .mpg?

Thanks for all of the help. I appreciate it.

Comment

The files are encrypted.

Comment

I assumed so, but isn't there an application that can decrypt them? Also, is the rest of my logic for copying the drive and accessing the files correct - other than the fact that they are decrypted so I could get to the files, but would not be able to open them, without somehow decrypting them.

Comment

No - there are hacks that can keep them from getting encrypted in the first place, but not decrypt them now.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X