Need help, tuner problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help, tuner problems?

I've done some searching but found no issues specifically like mine. I have read about the problems with the 6.3 software update, which may have something to do with the first problem but I'm not sure about the second one. The unit in question is a Phillips DSR704(Series 2 DirecTivo), never been modified or hacked, and way out of warranty.

1, sometimes the picture will go B/W, if I pause or replay it will go back to color. This happens with both live broadcast and recordings. I assume that it's recording in color, it's just the output that gets messed up.

2, sometimes I lose my signal and get a display that says it's searching for a satellite signal. This only happens when one of the tuners hits a new channel, either because I've changed it, or it started recording on the other tuner. When this happens, it happens to both tuners at the same time, never just one. If I change the channel on the tuner I'm not watching, or recording I can get the signal back on both tuners, but sometimes I have to scroll through a lot of channels before that happens. Basically when it does this it's like having 1 tuner. There's no consistency to when it decides to do this.

I've been considering replacing the drive with one of the weaknees kits to get more hours. Would that resolve these issues? Or should I just get a whole new unit? I'd hate to spend the money to upgrade and still have this problem.
    Thanks in advance, Bob

Both problems are pretty unusual, and neither really sounds like a drive problem.

For the color problem, are you using S-Video? This is often a bad S-Video cable.

For the tuner problem, that could be a drive but more likely it's a bad cable from the dish, a bad multiswitch, or a bad tuner.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X