Problem persists after installing harddrive upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem persists after installing harddrive upgrade

I have a Humax DRT800 Series 2 Tivo with DVR. I'm experiencing what sounds like a fairly typical problem. When I plug in my Tivo it goes to the "Welcome! Powering Up..." screen and then after a couple of minutes goes to the "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." screen. After a minute or so there, the screen goes black for a few seconds and then goes back to the "Welcome! Powering..." up screen, and so on and so forth.

From what I read on the various forums and because during this process I could hear my hard drive grinding away, I thought this was a problem with my hard drive. However, I just got a new 320 Gig hard drive from Weaknees and installed it and I'm still having the same exact problem (without the grinding).

Any ideas?

You might try disconnecting the DVD recorder from the motherboard and seeing if that does anything.

Comment

That really does sound like a drive problem, so you should probably first email us so we can confirm that the order is correct. Send your order number to [email protected] and reference this link.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
        You might try disconnecting the DVD recorder from the motherboard and seeing if that does anything.
        It's funny you suggested this... Before I had read this post I had poked around a little more and pinpointed that the DVR was making a weird noise during the "Almost there" phase.

Anyway, per your suggestion I unplugged the DVR from the motherboard, and voila, it worked. So I guess the DVR is ill. I haven't checked yet, but I assume I can get a new one from Weaknees.

BTW, I think there is a DVD in the drive, but the eject button doesn't open the drive. Anyone have any ideas how on something I can try to get the drive to eject? I realize the drive is damaged, but I was wondering if there is a way to trigger an eject other than the external eject button.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by groknroll View Post
          It's funny you suggested this... Before I had read this post I had poked around a little more and pinpointed that the DVR was making a weird noise during the "Almost there" phase.

Anyway, per your suggestion I unplugged the DVR from the motherboard, and voila, it worked. So I guess the DVR is ill. I haven't checked yet, but I assume I can get a new one from Weaknees.

BTW, I think there is a DVD in the drive, but the eject button doesn't open the drive. Anyone have any ideas how on something I can try to get the drive to eject? I realize the drive is damaged, but I was wondering if there is a way to trigger an eject other than the external eject button.

Thanks for the help.

Replying to my own reply

I disconnected all of the cables from the DVD and re-seated them and gave it another try and everything is working now.

Comment

Working...
          X