Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactely do I need for this repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactely do I need for this repair?

Hi,
    Ive had a series 2 Tivo (TCD540040) since 10/04. Right after I got it I added a 200GB drive to the original 40GB drive using the weaknees kit. I believe it is an older kit as I see that newer kits have the fan in the middle of the drives whereas my kit had the additional fan on the opposite side of the box than the original drive. Everything has been great except for a little extra noise from the fan and since this summer, the picture would occasionally pixilate.

The problem is that last week, the power to the house flickered and browned out and then finally blacked out for a minute or so. When the power came back on, the Tivo hung on the intro screen "Welcome to Tivo, powering up...". I am quite certain that the drive or drives are shot. Can I just order a single replacement and remove the two old drives? Or do I need to go through a similar process like I did when I originally expand my capacity or can I just 'plug-n-play' a new drive and keep my existing subscription?

FYI, I also believe I have the original image on a CD and the linux OS that I used on another CD. I prefer to replace the drives as I don't trust their integrity after have failed once. What do you suggest?

Thanks for any input!

We'd recommend the first thought - just getting one new drive as a replace kit and removing both current drives. You can find them here:

http://www.weaknees.com/t544.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

ok, Say I go with a single formated 300GB drive. Can I just plug it in and remove the 2 existing drives? Also do I need a new IDE cable? My current one is a Master/Slave IDE and I have no idea where the original cable is anymore?

TIA

Comment

Yes, you can just remove the two drives you have and install this one new one. The existing IDE cable is fine - just use the black end for the new drive, the blue end for the motherboard, and the gray middle should remain open.

If you want a replacement original two-position cable, we do have them, with the original bracket, here:

Series2 original bracket and cable
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thank you! I got the replacement drive today and got it up and running. All is well again in the household, the wife is even talking to me again!! Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
          X