Help with Hughes SD-DVR40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Hughes SD-DVR40

Hello everyone....need a little help. About 2 years ago I upgraded my TIVO to a 2 drive unit by adding a 80gb drive to the original 40gb. Since then I have had intermittent pauses and skips while viewing live and recorded programming but I was never bothered enough to fix it.

Fast forward to now....last week I found the TIVO locked up and unresponsive to commands from the remote or face plate. I also heard what I thought to be a strange sound coming from the hard drive or a fan. I unplugged the unit and it rebooted and worked fine. I checked the internal temp after it ran for awhile and it was normal(38C). A day later I find the unit will not turn on from stand by. I again unplug it but when it reboots the menus are really sluggish. I keep messing with it and it reboots on its own. That time it comes up and works ok. In the last two days I have heard the whining sound again for brief periods but have had no other problems. My thoughts is the 80GB drive(cheap Maxtor) I added is going out. I really wanted to upgrade the size anyway so now sounds like a good time to start. I am thinking of replacing the 80gb drive with a 250GB drive.

Does this sound like a HDD problem???

Question is how do I replace the 2nd drive and not lose my programming??? Is that possible???

That's almost definitely a hard drive problem. A "replace" kit for your model should fix the problem:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-upgrade.php

Just find your model.

You can't save the programming on the second drive, and we recommend not reusing it at all.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X