Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique pixelation and rebooting problem

Hi,

I have a DirecTivo Hughes HDVR2 TiVo system. I have had it for a few years. In September of 2007 I was experiencing a lot of pixelation on a variety of different channels. When I spoke to DirecTV technical support, they indicated that in their experience it was a problem with bad sectors on my hard disk.

At that time I purchased from WeaKnees a 300MB upgrade drive. The drive installation went smoothly, and my system stopped pixelating. All very good, and my family loved the increased capacity.

About 6 to 8 weeks ago, I started getting severe pixelation on just a couple of channels. In particular, the Disney channels at 290 and 291 and a couple of other kids channels. I get the pixelation even in clear weather. I occasionally get pixelation on other channels, but nothing too bad.

The pixelation on the Disney/kids channels is so bad that the system literally reboots itself. Yep, you're watching channel 291, the picture begins pixelating severely, and the system goes blank and then the "Welcome. Powering Up..." screen comes on.

DirecTV sent out a service person today. He checked my dish - no obstructions, clear view. He checked the cabling - signal was strong. He checked satellite strength on the DirecTivo. All working transponders were at least in the high 80s, low 90s. He actually observed the automatic reboot on channel 291.

He concluded that the receiver is the problem. He does not think it is a hard disk issue, but believes that the receiver may have some faulty part of its system that is having trouble processing signals from one or more transponders. The service technician said that he had never heard of anything in his experience about a system automatically rebooting itself upon severe pixelation.

He recommended that I change receivers. I do not want to go to DirecTV's units, since I do not want to give up my Tivo.

So, I have two questions. First, has anyone ever heard of anything like this before, or have any ideas about what is causing it? Second, if I purchase a used replacement Hughes HDVR2 TiVo, am I correct in assuming that I can just swap in my hard disk from my existing system and get up and running?

I would appreciate any advice you could give. Many thanks.

Joe

It sounds like you might have a bad tuner. Next time you see the pixellation, press pause on the remote. Then switch tuners (down on the circle directional pad) and see if the pixellation goes away.

Alternatively, try running your TiVo with only the sat 1 connection and see what happens..

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I will try that tonight when I get home.

If I buy another Hughes HDVR2 TiVo system, am I correct in assuming that I can just install my current hard drive into the new system? I assume I will also have to swap access cards as well. Are these correct assumptions?

Many thanks.

Joe

Comment

You can move the drive, but after the move you have to do a 'clear and delete everything' in the system reset menu.

You may or may not be able to use the same card, it depends on how the wind is blowing at DIRECTV...sometimes they allow it, sometimes they don't. Very frustrating.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the response. Is there any method I can use to transfer my content from the drive to the new system (on the assumption that I am using my same drive)?

If I decided to upgrade drives at the same time by installing a new drive on the new system, is there an easier process to copy over content I have already recorded?

I appreciate all of your help. I tell everyone about WeaKnees!

Joe

Comment

Basically, the answer is no to both questions.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Many thanks. By the way, I tried your solution of pressing pause on the remote, and then switching tuners. It worked. On trying various other channels, it looks like I indeed have one bad tuner.

So I'm going to get another Hughes HDVR2.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Joe

Comment

Working...
              X