Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching my Tivo withOUT a TV, is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching my Tivo withOUT a TV, is it possible?

Hi Guys,
    Happy Friday to everyone.

I am getting ready to start a career as a Commercial Truck Driver.
    I currently have 2 Tivo units and plan to take one IN the truck out on the road, but only as a *player*, while the 2nd unit stays home and records. I would then swap the 2 units every month or so.

I was thinking that I would buy a Laptop (because I'll need to go online and pay bills) and that I would simply use the Laptop to watch my recordings from Tivo. Thursday while at lunch with a couple of friends (obviously Smarter than Me!) they asked HOW I was planning on getting the signal from the Tivo into the Laptop, since Laptops don't come with RCA jacks.

MY Question....
    I wasn't planning on buying a TV to put in the truck.... IF I am NOT going to have a TV in the truck, but instead have only a Monitor or a 17" Laptop - is it possible to to View the programs on a Laptop or just a Monitor from my Tivo?

Or do I need to start shopping for a small tv?

Many laptops have S-video inputs and audio inputs. You probably need a converter to go from the red/white audio to the headphone jack typically found on laptops.

Comment

I always thought the S-Video plugs on Laptops were for OUT only though. ??
      I did find a "red/white audio to headphone jack" plug at Radio Shack over the weekend, I'll see if that works on Tuesday.

Comment

Yes--True re s-video output with most laptops. One other option is to network your Tivo and move the media files from your TiVo to the laptop directly. This will work with any of the new standalone (non-DIRECTV) TiVo units.

Comment

Oh well! lol

We got the Audio to work just fine, but could never get any Video.

Guess I'll be needing a 20-22" TV soon.

Comment

Check the ViewSonic NextVision TV Receiver. It is designed to provide TV output into the RGB input of a computer monitor. It has S-Video and RCA jack inputs. I'm not sure if you can get the signal into a laptop but if you opt for a compact-size desktop computer with separate monitor, it will give you what you want.

Comment

Working...
            X