Sony SVR3000 Error S03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony SVR3000 Error S03

I have a 6-year old Series 2 Sony SVR-3000 that has been inactive for around 6 months that I decided to re-activate. However, upon installing updates, the process gets all the the way thru contacting TIVO, downloading the updates and attempting to install until locking up at 29% complete and giving me an "Error: S03" message.

Contacting Sony T/S wasn't very helpful in that they didn't tell me what the problem was. They did try to give me a "Kick Start" process but it didn't help. Assuming corrupt data on the HD is causing the problem, will reformatting the drive (in a computer) help or even buying a new, larger drive?

Also, is there a way to upgrade this unit from a Series 2 to a Series 3? Thanks.

That's almost definitely a bad drive. A "replace" kit from here should fix it:

http://www.weaknees.com/svr3.php

There's no way to make that unit into a Series3, unfortunately.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply. Is the 80 GB drive dead or just the data corrupted? If not DOA, can I not buy a larger drive as primary and use this one (formatted clean) as the secondary?

Also, given my system, how large a drive can I use?

Comment

Well, in the Linux world, corrupt data usually means you really do have physical problems with the drive. It's possible that reformatting would help, but we'd really recommend just not re-using it. It's probably old enough that it's time to retire it anyway, since more failure may follow.

With our kits, adding an extra 80 GB in drive size really only costs $20 to $30 so that's the safer option, by far.

Comment

Yeah, I'll buy a larger primary drive from you guys. Is it all ready to go, software -wise, to just plug in and go? How large can I go in my Series 2 Sony? I read in the Hindsdale forum that too large a drive on too old a machine will just slow things down.

I tried reformatting the old drive in a spare PC (FAT 32) and it worked well in the PC. I then installed it in the TIVO and didn't get beyond the opening "TIVO Starting Up" screen. Is FAT32 the format and is there some other software or O.S. I was supposed to install on the drive before sticking it back in the TIVO?

Thanks, again.

Comment

Yes, our drives are ready-to-go. For that unit, the old capacity caps have long since been eliminated. You can put up to dual 750s in there.

There's a whole different Linux partitioning scheme you need, plus you need to load the proper TiVo OS.

Comment

Working...
            X