DirecTV RCA DVR40 hard drive failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirecTV RCA DVR40 hard drive failure?

Our DirecTivo started freezing about a week ago. At first, I thought it had to do with a software update. But, now it got worse and worse. It would freeze up randomly or when you changed channels. I did the reboot - MFS 57 check. Nothiing. Usually, the freezing would be accompanied by some soft "beeps"... Unplugging and plugging the Tivo it would also start beeping.

So last night I called DirecTV and they had me reformat the Tivo overnight. This morning, I had the initial Setup screen, but it was frozen. So I rebooted. Now I can't get past the DirecTV "waiting" screen. The unit also starts beeping constantly when it gets to the point where it freezes. I think this is it - I can't get past it after several reboots.

Is this a bad hard drive? Could it be a blown modem? I don't think it is the power supply.

I purchased this Tivo through Weaknees about 30 months ago - so I figure that is about normal life for one of these units?

That's almost definitely a hard drive problem. A "replace" kit for your model should fix the problem:

TiVo Upgrade Kits

30 months is on the short side, but certainly not unheard of, given all of the possible environmental factors that can shorten the lifespan of a unit.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X