Looking for advice to try to preserve programming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice to try to preserve programming

I have a Toshiba SD-H400 that has been in pretty much continuous use with the original hard drive since January 2004. For the last month or perhaps longer I noticed that live TV would sort of pause / distort into major pixelation, sometimes just freeze. By either changing channels or cycling power all would return to normal for a while (never really noted how long it would stay good before having problems). A couple of days ago (after not looking at it for a while) I noticed that programming had run out on April 30th, and a couple of attempts at connecting to TiVo resulted in either Download errors, or on the next attempt errors while loading. All of this made me suspicious that the hard drive was probably starting to fail so I ordered an upgrade from weaknees that should arrive today.

While waiting for the upgrade to arrive I read about the kickstart utilities which seemed appropriate for trying to identify & correct suspected errors with the hard drive. I successfully initiated a kickstart 57 but since then I get nothing but reboot cycles when the SD-H400 is powered on. I have left it powered on for about 6 or 7 hours, and each cycle is about 6 or so minutes (Grey welcome screen about 2-3 minutes, brief TiVo image / Almost there, then about 3 or so minutes of GSOD).

Before I got into this cycle I took a look at the System information, and I am running a version of the 9.3 software (do not know when this update occurred).

My questions are;

1) Is there anything I can do with the Weaknees boot CD which will either complete diskcheck like operation I requested with the kickstart 57, or remove the "dirty" tag so the TiVo stops trying to run the diagnostic with each boot up?

2) I'm assuming my replacement drive comes with TiVo OS on it, and one approach might be to simply put that drive in and forget about the programming on the old drive, is that correct?

3) Is there any way to copy the programming only from my old drive to the new drive, assuming that the new drive does come with the OS loaded?

4) If I attempt to copy the old drive to the new drive (documented way to move the programming), what happens if that fails because of issues with the old drive? Is there a way to lay down a new OS on the new drive once I've started the copy and at least get the TiVo working again? Given the behavior with the old drive should I even try to copy to the new one?

If at all possible I want to copy my programming to the new drive, but the most important thing is to at least get the TiVo working again. One last point is that I do have a lifetime subscription active on this TiVo.

Thanks for any answers or advice that you can provide.

1 - There's no way we know of to halt that loop essentially.

2 - This is the best answer.

3 - Only if the drive boots. You'd need to then copy the shows over a network using TiVoToGo, then install the new drive, then copy them back.

4 - Don't do this. You'll most likely just copy a corrupt version of the OS over the good version we've put on there.

Your lifetime will be preserved with the new drive.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      3 - Only if the drive boots. You'd need to then copy the shows over a network using TiVoToGo, then install the new drive, then copy them back.
      I'm familiar with copying with TiVoToGo, but how do you copy them back?

Thanks for your response. Given I probably won't get the thing to boot up it is not looking good for getting the programming off.

One more question; If I just install the replacement drive, do I have to do anything for my SD-H400 to recognize / utilize the larger 320 Gig upgrade drive that I purchased?
      Last edited by gbullman; 05-09-2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Nope - you don't need to do anything to get the extra space. We do that part here.

Go here for information on TiVoToComeBack (search for that term):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=5635791

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          Nope - you don't need to do anything to get the extra space. We do that part here.

Go here for information on TiVoToComeBack (search for that term):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=5635791
          Thank you, my TiVo is back up and running with the new drive (probably not going to mess with the old programming at this point), and I now see how I can move shows back up to TiVo from my Mac.

Comment

The Mac info is here:

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/05/04/tivot...vo-mac-client/

Comment

Working...
            X