TiVo HD and TiVo Desktop Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo HD and TiVo Desktop Plus

I currently have 3 Humax DVD equipped Series 2 units. While I'd love to step up to at least one of the newer units, I have several concerns.

I really enjoy doing transfers unit-to-unit and also occasionally do transfers to my TiVo Desktop Plus-equipped PC. Sometimes, I'll set that to automatically transcode video for my portable device. But, what I find I do the most now is to transfer web video content back to the TiVo to watch on the big TV. There are numerous programs appearing on the web and available via RSS subscription. Again, the newest Desktop Plus can facilitate automatic subscription and content delivery right to a TiVo. TiVo has enhanced their service with to make it possible to browse for more and more web content right from the TiVo and have it appear in the Now Playing list.

Now on to my questions. From what I've read, it seems like Series 3/HD are a step backward in some respects:

Cannot get an integrated DVD player/burner anymore. Not a deal-breaker but it was really nice to have. Any chance of something like this ever appearing? Blu-ray maybe?

Transfers were not originally permitted, but I'm not clear on what is actually crippled.

Can I transfer any programming from TiVo to TiVo? How about Series 3/HD to Series 2? If yes, am I correct in assuming that it would have to have been recorded in standard def and not HD?

Can I transfer content to the computer?

Can I transfer content to the Series 3/HD from the computer? I would miss the ability to view web video subscriptions.

jshapiro? We've got one of those around here.

Right - no DVD with the Series3 units. So no DVD and HD in any one unit. We haven't even heard rumors of a reappearance.

Transfer work now, but not HD to an SD unit.

All other transfers work: SD anywhere, HD to another HD.

Content can go to computers now.

Content can also go to the TiVos from computers.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

We've got one of those

To my knowledge, no relation, but if it will get me a better price on a new HD unit ... By the way, my first name is Jonathan

That is great to hear about the transfers. Why wasn't that played up more? You'd think that TiVo would have notified customers as an incentive to move up.

Anyway, now I think it is time to move up to an HD unit on at least the one tied to my home theater system. A couple of follow ups:

Since my Humax had a DVD and I'll be losing the ability to burn content to DVD or play commercial DVDs, what do you think I should do to regain that functionality?

The only thing and I can come with is I could transfer content to a PC and burn it that way. I could add a DVD player to the mix for playback. I am really not ready for Blu-ray yet. My TV/receiver only handle component video anyway. So, I guess I could put in a fairly cheap progressive scan DVD for now.

Looks like my receiver has 2 sets of component inputs as well as 2 optical inputs as well as coax for audio, so I'm assuming I'd just run everything through the receiver component to the TV as I have now.

My cable company is Cablevision. I assume I can start with analog cable initially and then upgrade to cablecard. What is the process with that? How hard is it going to be to get 2 cablecards out of them?

Comment

Really, the world of DVDs just hasn't caught up to HD on the burning side. For SD, you can transfer to a computer to do it.

Component is a good bet, or direct to the TV via HDMI.

Yes, you can do analog cable, then go to digital with CableCARDs. You just won't be able to get HD from them until you do. But you can use OTA. Getting the cards is simple - should just be a phone call.

Comment

Cablecards

My system predates HDMI. My TV's best video input is component. So I'm probably going to stick with a conventional DVD player/TiVo HD combo for now. I'd put in the TiVo first. Then I guess I'd order digital cable and cablecards.

I've read the horror stories of getting cablecards working though and getting the cable company to cooperate. Has this gotten easier? Am I in for any trouble?

Comment

Yes - the world of CableCARDs has gotten much, much better. You are very unlikely to have problems with them at this point.

Comment

Thanks

Michael:

Thanks for all the excellent info. I'll be calling in soon to buy a new HD unit.

Comment

Working...
              X