A Simple Explanation Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Simple Explanation Needed

I now know that Tivo and DirecTV have parted ways. I found this out looking to replace my RCA DVR39. I also discovered that if I replace my DVR through Tivo, I will have to pay $12.95 per month instead of the $5.00 I am paying now to DirecTV. I also have been informed that I can only record one channel with the new DVRs from Tivo. This is what has led me here, to find out if I can fix the Tivo I have now which I strongly suspect has at least one drive fragged. That is, to save money in subscription fees and, to continue recording two programs at once or, watch one channel while recording another.

Now, since I can record two channels, that means I have two hard drives, right? From what I am reading it seems I might only need one and still be able to record two channels or, record one and watch the other. Is this correct?

Enlighten me if I am wrong and, then give me some advice as to what I should buy? I would like to upgrade to at least 80 hrs.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
    Dave in NC

That's a common misconception - you only need one drive to record two shows at the same time. The number of drives really has nothing to do with the number of recordings possible.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

A simple explanation

Is there any advantages to two drives then??

Comment

Nope - just maximum overall capacity, if one drive doesn't do it for you.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X