Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirecTV Tivo Repair question help!

Other than HERE, where can I go to take my HR10-250 to get
    SATELLITE TUNER REPAIR? I have two units and both have recently lost a Sat input after a storm.

Can I repair myself? What kind of store would fix them? Where would I get the parts?

Thanks!

It's really pretty tricky. We had to source the required chips from several resellers to get all of the correct parts, and then we have a guy who de-solders the old chips off and re-solders them on. I really don't think you'll be able to find a local repair shop with this type of specific knowledge, to be honest.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Any idea why I would lose an input on two HR-10-250's a week apart from each other? Is it wear and ear or is it something that can happen in a storm?

Thanks Michael

D

Comment

We'd guess it's extra voltage on a line. With all of the storms around the country at the moment, we've been hearing this type of thing a lot.

Comment

Any way I could have prevented this or do so going forward?

Comment

If it was voltage down your SAT lines, they may not be properly grounded. But I think given the storms, even a perfect install could see this type of problem.

Comment

Thanks again...but just so I know...what could I do to ground them besides a surge protector? Should I run the SATs into a surge? DirectV says their signal won't work if I do that.

David

Comment

I'm really not a dish technician, but I believe the dish itself has to be properly grounded.

Comment

If someone (myself) was comfortable unsoldering & replacing bad chips, could you post directions and/or sell a kit with the necessary parts?

I have an aging HDVR2, and apparently the SAT2 tuner is on it's way out. Besides the $179 price, my wife would be unhappy being without TiVo for the 2 week turnaround to have you do it. I don't see any refurbished HDVR2 units on your site, so I'm guessing these are hard to come by as well.

I considered using the "downgrade to 1 tuner" workaround, but unfortunately, a couple of the shows we like tend to air simultaneously ;(

If there are other options (i.e. buying a replacement HDVR2 motherboard), I'm open to suggestions!

p.s. for my edification, any idea what is causing the tuners to fail? (preferably more detail than "bad chip"

Comment

Do I gather by the lack of responses that my only option is the two week hit to send the unit in to WeaKnees for repair?

Comment

weaKnees does not have any other suggestions, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                      X