HD Tivo, 500GB Weaknees drive, out of warranty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Tivo, 500GB Weaknees drive, out of warranty

The device has worked fine since it was released, or a long time. ;-)

Now, however, it boots to a black screen (via HDMI) and must be hard restarted via the power cord to restore video output. This is now chronic.

Clear and delete or should I just cut to the chase and swap the drive? It uses Comcast cable cards so I would need to call them (shudder) and get them re-paired.

regards,

chmod
    Last edited by chmod; 06-21-2008, 10:12 AM.

You might as well try the C & D first, in case it helps. It's unlikely to do the trick, but you have nothing to lose if you're going to swap out the drive potentially anyway.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Follow up and some Comcast Cable Card errata...

the unit is connected to Comcast and OTA. The unit uses a pair of multi-mode cable cards configured for single mode. We do not subscribe to any "premium" services but do have the HD package which is configured at the head end and not part of the base package. This allows stuff like Discovery, HDNet, etc., to be received. The replacement drive saw both CCs, and did not require any interaction (thank the eternal forces) with Comcast.

No doubt this is due to the lack of encryption bits but then again, the whole issue of CCs is so oblique to the average user (me) I was pleasantly surprised by the simplicity of the replacement - no need to call Comcast. How much better can it get?

regards,

chmod

Comment

Excellent! Glad to hear it.

In the two years (almost) that we've been dealing with CableCARDs, they've gone from very erratic to very solid. We're pretty happy about that!
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X