Cable signal degraded by TIVO Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable signal degraded by TIVO Box

Please help. I have spent too much time on the phone with TIVO and 4 trips out to the house by the cable company who eventually boosted the cable signal. But to no avail.
    We have cable going to a splitter to the TIVO and the cable box. By selecting the VIDEO function on our TV we are seeing cable via the TIVO box, but most channels are missing (digital are okay) and the ones that do show are very snowy?? The Cable is very clear when Not using the TIVO box (switched from video to TV) TIVO is connected to the TV with the RCA type cables and the TIVO graphics are very clear. We have had the TIVO for about 6 months and have suffered with this problem for all but a few weeks.

Any thoughts??

Not sure I understand your setup. You should have one leg of the splitter output going directly to the TV and the other half of the splitter output going to the cable box, and then the cable box would connect to the TiVo.

This presumes that you have a single-tuner TiVo, but I'm guessing.

Comment

I will try what you are suggesting, but I believe that I followed the connection instructions when I hooked it up. What I have is cable from the wall to a splitter, one leg goes to cable box, and the other to TIVO. The TV is connected to Tivo by RCA cables (red, white, yellow) and to the cable box by cable. The TIVO is connected to the Cable box by RCA cables. Our Tivo is a 80 hr series 2. Not sure if this is more or less clear now.
      Last edited by toddnstx; 07-08-2008, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Can you post the exact model number of the TiVo? For some, this is right, but not for others.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Model info

The TIVO box I have is model TCD649080.

Thx,

Todd

Comment

OK - that all sounds right, except the connection to the TV from the cable box. That shouldn't be there - the TV should only see the cable box through the TiVo.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Your S2 is a Dual Tuner and you do have it connected correctly, except for the extraneous connection from cablebox to tv. It sounds like from your post that you are just having problems with the analog channels. There are two possibilities for this problem: (1) bad tuner in TiVo or (2) bad analog signal from cable company.

Even though these channels come in OK thru the cablebox it is possible that your cable provider is using ADS (analog-digital simulcast) and the cablebox is using the digital form of the lower channels and the TiVo is using the analog version. The best way to test this is to connect the coax cabe straight from the wall into your TV and see how the channels appear.

Comment

Working...
              X