Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 2 Pixelating, freezing picture and delayed responses

My good old faithful 40 hour Series 2 Tivo, model number: TCD240040
    Software 9.3-01-2-140 with Lifetime service is having issues. It takes a few seconds to respond to remote control commends such as getting to Tivo menu, etc. It is also Pixelating while watching both prerecorded and live TV. Sometimes it freezes during pixelating and doesn's seem to want to go forward. Other times it is perfectly normal. It has been running great for almost 5 years . It may be time for a new hardrive ? Could there be other reasons for these? Should we need a new hard drive, is there a way to somehow keep the season passes since many shows are not on the air now since there is no way I know of to set them up until they start up again?
    We can transfer the shows onto our computer through the network but I don't know how to deal with the season passes.

I haven't done it, but I've heard that there is a way to activate KidZone and that would upload your Season Passes to TiVo's servers. Then, when you put in the "replace" kit, it'll pick them back up. But you should dig around for more info - I haven't done it personally.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

What is the issue though?

WK-
      Do you then recommend replacing the hard drive? Is that the issue with the delayed response and pixalating?

Comment

Yes, we'd recommend that you try a new drive.

Comment

Issues with replacing hard drive for TCD240040 Series 2 Tivo Model?

Hi,
          I have heard there is some specific issues with replacing the hard drive for the TCD240040 model or the 2400 models. What are there and should I be concerned with them? I don't remember what they are but do remember reading them on some forum.
          What hard drive would you recommend to replace this older (5 yrs old 40 hr) model? Is there such a thing as too many hours not such a good idea and starts to create issues? Do we need to add cooling fans or anything like an additional kit with it? We don't want to get too fancy but maybe increase to at least 100 hrs or so, we do get deleted things once in a while since having a toddler at home doesn't always equal time to watch TV.
          Thanks for the advice.

Comment

We really don't know of any specific issues with these units. Can you tell us where you heard this?

Any kit here is perfect for that unit:

http://www.weaknees.com/tv40.php

Comment

I've got a series 2 Hughes directivo that about 2 1/2 years ago I put in the 160gig upgrade kit to augment my 30 gig system....

It for the last few days has been freezing for just a moment...like 1/2 second and then playing again...like someone was hitting pause...pause....pause...pause...

I yanked the cover off and the fan that comes with the kit that mounts between the two drives was not spinning.

So off to Frys I go....got a new fan....even had the double molex connector and I swap out the fan and all should be good right?

NOPE!:ranting:

It is still doing the pause/freeze every little bit...it's realllly annoying.

This happens in pre-recorded shows as well as current LIVE shots.

So what should I do????

TIA

-dc

Comment

That's almost definitely a hard drive problem. A "replace" kit for your model should fix the problem:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-upgrade.php

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                  That's almost definitely a hard drive problem. A "replace" kit for your model should fix the problem:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-upgrade.php

That's the kit I did install on it previously (it was the add a drive kit)...and the fan that died was the supplied fan that fits on the "drive bridge" that holds both drives in the new 2 drive config...

If it's the drive...would it be the original 30 gig'er or the added 160?

Is there an easy way/tool to clone the drive on to a new drive so I won't lose the existing content?
                  Last edited by dchavoc; 08-30-2008, 10:40 PM.

Comment

No way to know which drive it is without exhaustive testing, so we generally recommend just replacing both with one larger drive, since they've come down so much in price. A 300 GB drive is currently $159.

Comment

Originally posted by dchavoc View Post
                      Is there an easy way/tool to clone the drive on to a new drive so I won't lose the existing content?
                      No way to know which drive it is without exhaustive testing, so we generally recommend just replacing both with one larger drive, since they've come down so much in price. A 300 GB drive is currently $159.
                      Can I use standard tools like Partition Magic (or suggest other tool) to move the existing partitions from the old drives to new drives?

I'd really hate to lose the existing content

Thanks again for your replies.

Comment

Nope - really only these tools will work:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com

The other DOS/Windows tools don't work.

Comment

Oh that is Fracking awesome! Thanks for the link!!!

I'd rep ya, but I don't see a repp'ing system on this forum.

-dc

Comment

ok...I made the boot disk

I put a 200 gig "temp" drive as the primary Master
                            the CDROM is the Primary Slave
                            The orginal 40 gig tivo drive is on the secondary Master
                            The Weeknees 160 2nd drive is on the secondary slave

when the linux cd boots up....it finds the hard drives....and their sizes, etc...but it times out 5 times and fails to find the CD rom at the end.

So I tried the mount /dev/hdz1 /mnt command and it errors out with cant find the device

hdz1 = hdf

edit...I used mount /dev/hdf1 /mnt

I get

"mount point /mnt does not exist"

So I can't even do the back up!

What do you suggest??
                            Last edited by dchavoc; 10-05-2008, 03:39 PM.

Comment

What about Acronis??? It supports 'nix volumes

Comment

Working...
                              X