Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can TiVO Series 2 control Mot DCH3416 Dual DVR Cable Box??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can TiVO Series 2 control Mot DCH3416 Dual DVR Cable Box??

Recently got HD service upgrade from Cox and had their Motorola DCH3416 Dual DVR cable box installed. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like my series 2 can control this thing to change channels (tried both direct serial connection & IR emitters) - I assume different IR code set?

Can I get my series 2 to control this box? Even tho the new Mot cable box is also a DVR, it's whimpy beyone belief and I would still like to utilize the TiVO.

Thanks loads for any help,

Pete

Essentially, one DVR isn't good at controlling another. Due to the menu systems and the workings of the units, DVRs just don't receive channel change requests like "dumb" cable or satellite boxes. So TiVos really can't control other DVRs.

Any reason not to just get an HD TiVo?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Just thought it might work

No real reason NOT to get an HD Tivo I guess - except for the fact that I already have one that can do standard def stuff and I already have a cable box that can do the HD stuff.

I was just hoping that they would communicate OK together for just punching in channels.

I'll take a closer look at the HD Tivo - I'm not sure how well Cox communications supports the cable card thing though. I'll just have to dig into it.

Thanks loads for the response.

Pete

Comment

Really, at this point, all the big cable companies deal with CableCARDs really well.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X