bad picture on second tivo unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad picture on second tivo unit

i have two dt 649080 tivos, mounted in a cabinet under my tv, they are stacked on top of each other on the top shelf and i have a battery back up on the next shelf with everything plugged into it.

first tivo works perfect, but the second tivo picture quality is horrible, the colors are messed up when watching live tv or recorded show, but the tivo screen menu is perfect color. i used composite cables on both dvr's and everything is plugged in the same way.

the splitter i have is 1 in and 4 out, i tried one of the other connections and that didnt help so then i tried another cable and still got the same thing with screen color. i even used the main coax bypassing the splitter altogether and it was still funky screen colors.

i dont think it would be the composites since the menu stuff is nice vivid colors, but im going to try another set of composite cables and see what that does. just not sure what else it could be if that doesnt fix it?

any help is greatly appreciated!

If you know it isn't the cables, then you might have a bad motherboard. You might try it on a different TV, in a different room/setup, but since your TiVo menus are fine, it could be the TiVo. You might also try getting rid of the 1x4 splitter and trying a different coax cable.

Comment

ok, i switched the composite cables from first tivo to second and still no change.
      i removed the splitter and went straight to tivo 2 with the coax, no difference.
      but....
      last night i pulled shows off tivo 2 and watched them on tivo 1, first shows colors were messed up. today i watched the rest of tivo 2 shows on tivo 1 and they were good.
      later i watched on tivo 2 the last two shows i recorded on tivo 2 and they were messed up, mostly a big blue streak down middle of screen. i went to live tv and a few channels were good and most others were blue stripped.

is there a tuner inside that could be bad? is that something separate from the mobo that could be replaced? i really screwed myself on this tivo, i bought it lightly used, put lifetime on it before hooking it up since i didnt know better at the time, (lifetime on Tivo 1 also) so if its the mobo im SOL?

thanks jeff

Comment

Yes, there is definitely a tuner inside (and also an analog to digital converter) and those could all be malfunctioning.

If you purchased lifetime within 30 days, you should be able to cancel it. If not, you may be able to transfer it over to a similar unit.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

i did just purchase the lifetime a few days ago. but i got the tivo off ebay (both tivos actually) first tivo already had lifetime on it, after i got the second tivo i put lifetime on it since i could do it for the cheaper 299 price.

i dont know if i can do anything with the 30 day guarantee
          Money Back Guarantee applies only to initial activations if canceled within 30 days and DVR is returned for a full refund.

i got the tivo off ebay and not a retailer so im probably screwed???
          i will have to call the tivo guy i bought my lifetime sub from and see if he can help me transfer it to another unit? i pray he is a kind man.

Comment

Such is life with eBay often, unfortunately.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

only second time having a bad deal on ebay (9 years, 800+ auctions)

Comment

Working...
              X