HR10-250 double screen + problems with remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR10-250 double screen + problems with remote

A few weeks ago my remote lost communication with the directv HR10-250 receiver. Directv support told me this unit was too old to support and I should forget it and get one of their dvr's --for free with a new antenna. Played around with it and was able to regain control even after purple and green double screens appeared which is good because I was not anxious to try another dvr service --this is my third tivo and I LOVE it!

This has happen a few times now recently and I've always been able to bring the unit back around --but now I'm not too sure.... It happen again today and after reading posts in this forum I wondering if the problem could be fan, power supply, battery or something. I replaced the hd with one from WK about a year ago. My best bet is to now leave it alone overnight and see if that gets me to a point where I can use the remote to restart/reset the unit (three thumbs down + enter). That usually gets rid of the double screen and then I can go through the setup for the remote again and be back in business.

I'm waiting for the new directv hd tivo unit in 2009 but now I'm unsure I can wait that long.

What size battery is on the motherboard? Anyone have any ideas and/or troubleshooting tips?

Rich
    Last edited by richielj; 09-28-2008, 07:01 PM.

The battery on the motherboard has really never caused a significant problem that I've seen. Some people even run their units without one.

Unfortunately, this sounds most like a bad motherboard to me, but you could try a new drive and/or power supply to see if you get any help.

Do you still have the old drive from the unit? Does that still work?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I believe I tossed the old hard drive but I will check at home tonite.

Hmmm. This is really bad news...

Thanks for the quick response!

Comment

If you can stick it out for a year, there'll be a newer, better, larger . . . unit:

http://www.wkblog.com/tivo/2008/09/n...o-for-directv/

Comment

Yes, I'm really torn... I couldn't find any non-Apple drives at home so I must have tossed the old one.

I tried more resurrection techniques last night with no luck. I watched a DVD as I have no access to the hd programming from directv withiout the hd tivo. They will give me a free "hd dvr", antenna, plus another "dvr" receiver for another room. I don't know if I can last a year!

Comment

You can always take the free stuff (which will commit you to DTV for two years) and then get the new unit when it comes out. The only thing not "free" about this is the commitment, but that shouldn't be a hindrance if you expect to get the TiVo in a year, since that'll require a commitment anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X