Cycling through "Welcome! Powering up..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycling through "Welcome! Powering up..."

I had a factory drive (80 GB) on my refurbished Humax DRT800 reformatted by Weakness to use as an add drive on a TCD540140. I received that reformatted drive and put it in the TCD540, using the instructions that came with it (PowerTrip, bracket, additional fan, etc). Everything went together fine, and I double checked everything (jumper setting on factory drive, power cables). It's now stuck on cycling between the welcome screen and restarting. The old drive was was working fine, and is a Maxtor. Reformatted drive is a Seagate. The reformatted drive is one year old, and the factory drive is about the same. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

What OS version is on the TCD540140? You should be able to disconnect the add-on drive and get the unit to boot to get the TiVo OS.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I disconnected the add on drive, but the unit wouldn't boot - just the same cycling. Any suggestions?

Comment

Had the TCD540140 been dialing in on a regular basis prior to the work performed?

Comment

Yes, I had it connected to my wireless network, and it was successfully connecting nightly. As best I know, it had the latest version of the software on it before I added the drive. The unit is a refurbished one purchased from TiVo in Feb. 2006. In looking at the factory drive, it has a date of June 2004 printed on it - do you think the factory drive just went out?

Comment

It sounds like the most likely possibility. Can you check it in a PC? Don't boot into Windows - see the post in the forums about how to do this.

Comment

I don't have an "A" drive on my PC, so the diagnostic tool from Maxtor won't work. If I order a replacement drive for the factory one from WK, will I have to send in the reformatted add-on, too? Or can I just get a new factory drive, put it in, and it will fire up using both drives?

Comment

Yes, we'd need the add-on drive too, but if you just send it in, we'd be happy to prepare it with the new drive. Drop us an email with your order number if you have it, and we can work out the details.

Comment

I think what I'd like to do is get a new drive, and also send you my unit, so you can test the factory drive to see if it's really dead. If it's not, you could reformat it to be the "B" drive, and just send me back the "B" drive that's in there now. If it is dead, then you could just use the "B" drive that's in there now - will that work? And how much would it cost for option 1 (install new drive, test and reformat "A" drive as "B" drive) and option 2 (test "A" drive, install new drive, (assumes "B" drive is already formatted from the previous attempt)) if I send WK the unit?

Comment

Working...
                  X