Dual LNB round dish, multiswitch, 2 DVR current: move one DVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual LNB round dish, multiswitch, 2 DVR current: move one DVR

I've had my Directv antenna and multiswitch and two TIVO Hughes DVRs (non HD) working for at least 2-3 years.

When originally installed, we just had the one DVR on 1st floor, and Weaknees installed two receivers (single coax) in two separate bedrooms upstairs. Later, we bought a 2nd DVR and installers ran a whole new set of two cables up to the attic (from basement) to replace the original single coax in the one bedroom (3rd coax alone was still connected to the other bedroom faceplate - at least it's still going up from basement to attic - I'll have to check to see if it's connected to anything!).

We now want to move upstairs DVR to bedroom that only has one coax cable for the old receiver. That single coax cable DOES provide a signal (when I hook up the single cable to my DVR it gets all the channels, but the second tuner is looking for a signal on SAT 2.

I'm not adding a 3rd DVR. I could just cut the cables going to the other bedroom up in the attic and use a splice to connect them to the new bedroom. But then I would have to go back up in the attic to change the plan later, and I'd have a problem if I decided to add a 3rd DVR (we do have two daughters, sigh).

Is it possible to take the two cables going to the bedroom that used to hold the DVR and split both of them in the attic and send them both to the new bedroom AND the old bedroom?

If so, does it need any special type of splitter?

The final option (and hardest, most expensive) would be to replace the current 3x4 AVRA multiswitch with a new 3x6 or 3x8 mutliswitch, and then run a 4th and 5th cable up to the attic and down to the faceplate in the new bedroom. That would guarantee that both bedrooms could have a DVR at any time. Is there an easier and cheaper alternative?

Thanks,

Dave
    Last edited by dmbott; 05-15-2009, 06:35 PM.

If you have a multiswitch that is cascadable, then with a dual-LNB dish and two lines from the first switch, you can add a second multiswitch and see if it works. There is a chance that it will. You'd need another 3x4, see:

DIRECTV Multiswitches

Comment

How do you determine if a multiswitch is cascadable? My original is an ASRA or ASRE brand 3x4 put in by Weaknees.

Comment

They typically are, but you'd have to try it to know for sure. It's not an expensive part.

Comment

I should have posted earlier. Thanks for the info. Bought the switch (from Weaknees). It arrived, climbed up in the attic, shimmied over to the corner, and found a switch already up there! They had put in a multiswitch, so now I knew it was cascadable, and I now have a spare in case of another lightning strike.

Now I'm worried, because I'm getting the HD itch...

Comment

Yeah - 3x4 won't do HD. That's a pretty different world.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X