Grey screen, no response to remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey screen, no response to remote

I have a Tivo 3 HD with a couple cablecards. Tonight, I was flipping through channels (enhanced cable channels but not premium or HD channels) and then all of a sudden when I tried to go to a channel, I got a blank grey screen and the Tivo would not respond to the remote. Every once in a while, the Tivo would respond to the remote but then it would stop responding again for a while. After a few minutes of being patient, everything started to work again. Any thoughts on what's happening?

Could just be a glitch - have you tried rebooting the unit?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks, Michael. I am also experiencing other problems -- addressed in a different thread -- where weird things happen when we try to watch HD channels (picture freezes, Tivo reboots, etc.). In the other thread, since the problems seemed to be isolated the HD channels (until last night), the diagnosis was that we have bad cablecards.

Could these issues be related? Could there be a problem with the hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

That could be bad CableCARDs or a bad hard drive.

Do you also get HD via antenna? If so, do you have problems with that?

Comment

We don't get HD via antenna.

Comment

Have you tried to go through setup again without CableCARDs? If that works, then you might have found the problem: bad cards.

Comment

Tonight, I experienced a couple more symptoms -- as I flipped thru channels, at times, it took some time for the next channel to show up (would see a blank grey screen in the interim); I was watching a basic channel and then all of a sudden, the Tivo automatically rebooted.

To recap what I have been experiencing over the last week...
              - First, while watching HD channels, weird things would happen -- picture would freeze at times and then the Tivo would automatically reboot. At this point, all non-HD channels seemed to be working fine. Then...
              - As I was flipping thru channels a couple nights ago, I wouldn't see a particular channel (blank grey screen) and then the Tivo wouldn't respond to the remote. After a while, everything was working fine again. Then...
              - The symptoms I experienced tonight (described above).

Initially, I thought it was a problem with the cablecards but now I am thinking it is a hard drive problem. Thoughts?

Comment

Once I hear the word "reboot" I immediately think of a hard drive failure. Hard drive failures account for the vast majority of reboots. So, yes, you should try a new hard drive.

For Series3 units, hard drives are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/s325.php

Comment

same

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                  Once I hear the word "reboot" I immediately think of a hard drive failure. Hard drive failures account for the vast majority of reboots. So, yes, you should try a new hard drive.

For Series3 units, hard drives are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/s325.php
                  We have same issues on new HD Tivo, remote works fine on other 2 units but this unit does all the frealy stuff the other user quoted. Hvae had 6 cable cards and techs here for a week now, guys spent 6 hours today alone and we are still at same point tonight.

Comment

So is it a remote problem or a rebooting problem?

Comment

Working...
                    X