Hughes HDVR2 Resetting and Freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes HDVR2 Resetting and Freezing

Hello all. I have a Hughes Directv Tivo HDVR2. I have had this for years and except for the HD part, I still prefer it to my Directv DVR's. For the third time I am going to have to repair it. I have so far ordered all my replacement parts from WeaKnees and loved it. I have replaced the hard drive twice. And today replaced the power supply. It seems that replacing the power supply was not the source of this current problem. Here it is.

My Tivo has worked fine. I actually had it on standby for a long time while I was out of town. It is plugged into a UPS and I am not in any areas that have storms or lightning strikes so I don't suspect power surges. When I turned it on recently I walked away, when I went back the screen was frozen. The remotes and front buttons would do nothing. I unplugged it and restarted it, same thing. The third time I sat and watched it. As soon as it finished acquiring the guide data and the screen flashed on I hit the menu button. Within about 4-5 seconds the receiver automatically resets itself. I searched through the forums ere and couldn't find this exact problem, the closest thing I found seemed to point to a bad power supply so I ordered a new one. Today I installed it and it still does the exact same thing. I am really hoping it is not a hard drive. If it is, I really hope someone can tell me a way to save the shows that are on there right now. I would appreciate any advice you may be able to offer. If there is not way to save the shows that are on the hard drive, I am not sure I am going to salvage this Tivo. I love it but I do like HD too. I can't wait for the Directv HD Tivo to come out. I absolutely HATE the Directv DVR's.

Thanks, Joel

That's almost definitely a bad drive, sorry to say.

There's no guaranteed way to get the data off the drive, but we do have some advanced recovery techniques we can try if the data is very important. We do advise that if these shows are available on DVD, that's probably a less-expensive option than data recovery.

Replacement drives for your unit are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/hdvr.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

After trying a power supply that didn't help, I was afraid of that. If when you say recovery option you are talking about options similar to a normal PC where they start at the high hundreds to thousands of dollars then you are right, that would be way too much money. I was thinking more of a do it yourself way to recover the data it I bought a new hard drive such as copying the data from the old drive to the new one but I am sure that would be too easy of a solution to be realistic. Nothing is easy anymore.

Considering that may not be an option, do you happen to know if I can waive the restocking fee for returning the poser supply if I exchange it for a hard drive kit? 15 bucks is 15 bucks and I am already questioning fixing this unit anyway. Thanks for your help and quick response.

-Joel

Comment

If you know how to use "dd" in Linux, you can try some recovery techniques yourself.

We can't really waive a restocking fee if it basically just covered free shipping on an order, but email us for more details: [email protected].
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X