Strange missing channel problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange missing channel problem

I've looked everywhere for an answer to this problem, even on the phone several times with Tivo.

I guess it's not too common because I do OTA HD recordings I don't have cable or satellite.

I have two Series 3 HD Tivos... The cheaper ones not the insanely expensive ones.

For some time I could trick one Tivo into showing channels on the channel list that it would not find by forcing a manual recording on that channel, and that trick worked. I could now see the channels in my list, and while flipping through the channels, but no program info....that's fine.

I was NEVER able to do this with the other HD TIVO which is about half a year newer.

Recently, our channel 60-1 KMBH-DT channel changed to 38-1, which I have long been viewing on my other good TIVO since I forced a recording to it. Both Tivo's received the update and now the program info shows for KMBH on 38-1 as it should. The Tivo with the problem will not show that channel at all even though it is receiving almost 90 percent signal strength and I can view the channel straight through the TV without going through the TIVO. I even forced a recording on 38-2 which is another channel not on the list and there is programming on there straight through the TV but again nothing but a black screen shows on the TIVO while the signal strength is strong.

I checked the Diagnostics, and the only difference I see between these channels that are blank and the rest is that it says program lock NO instead of yes. I've told all this to TIVO and they are blank as to an answer. I have a feeling I got a mid-level tech the last couple times. Next time I need to ask for whoever the real geeks are over there that can match what I know instead of someone reading out of a instruction book.

Oh, BTW, I even tried yesterday formatting the TIVO and restarting from scratch. Still does the same. One Tivo is working perfect on all the 38-* channels and the other just shows black....very strange. Everything else works perfect.

Sorry for the long post but there is a lot of details to this problem.
    Any ideas/help is appreciated. Thanks.

So are both units the same exact model?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yep exactly the same model purchased within about 6 months of each other.

I'm thinking of swapping the hard drives to see if the problem is inherent in the OS or whatever is on the HDD, or if it's something hardware on the motherboard. This will be a sure way to diagnose whether it's a software problem.

Comment

You won't be able to swap drives. You might want to go through setup again to be sure that you have the correct (and same) zip code and off-air channel lineup. Or, if you are in an area that borders another lineup, you might want to choose a different zip code that is definitely in the area that gets that station.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
          You won't be able to swap drives. You might want to go through setup again to be sure that you have the correct (and same) zip code and off-air channel lineup. Or, if you are in an area that borders another lineup, you might want to choose a different zip code that is definitely in the area that gets that station.

I've already reformatted the whole thing started from scratch, same zip code as the other one, all the program guide info is the same except the 38 channels don't show an image.

Good idea about the zip. I'm going to redo the lineup with another zip nearby which I'm sure will have all the exact same channels and see what happens, it's worth a try, and maybe just some software glitch on that TIVO.

Thanks

Comment

You might also want to try changing the location of each receiver in case it has something to do with the cabling in your house not giving the exact same signal strength to each unit.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I tried a nearby zip code... didn't work.

I have also tried different houses/locations also. Both locations are using good cabling and the same identical channelmaster antenna pointed in the same direction.

The signal strength on 38-1 is nearly 90 percent, but nothing shows at all. Strangest thing. You switch to the TV RF input and it looks perfect.

Comment

Working...
              X