New / Old replacement hard drive?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New / Old replacement hard drive?!?!

I just received a replacement hard drive from Weaknees. This is going in my HDVR2. I had a 250Gb hard drive in there before that I purchased from Weaknees in June of 2006. 3 Years wouldnt be real bad of a life but it had also been turned off and unplugged for about 12 - 18 months of those 3 years and it has always been plugged into a UPS with a power conditioner. That alone left me extremely disappointed when I went back to my Tivo and realized that all my recordings and season finales would be trashed because I had to replace the hard drive.

Now I just received a new replacement kit from Weaknees. I only sprung for an 80Gb because I don't use this Tivo much anymore but A completely dead Tivo is completely useless so I at least wanted it working. Before I even opened the hard drive bag I looked at it, Hmmmm, Date: 05 Jul 2004

What!!! Then I look closer and I see a separate stamp from someone who installed the drive in something on July 21st 2004.

How long is a hard drive expected to actually last that is reinstalled into something that is going to write 24/7/365 that was already installed and removed from something else?
    As quoted from their website""" All Self-Install upgrade kits include a brand-new hard drive or two (fully prepped for your model), a custom bracket (if necessary for your model and your kit), a torx screwdriver or two, cables, screws, and complete, detailed upgrade installation instructions - EVERYTHING YOU NEED - NO COMPUTER IS EVER NECESSARY! Full details of each kit are on the "more info" page.""""

I am almost speachless that I have no doubt received a used, scratch that VERY VERY used hard drive. I am going to call them tomorrow about this and I have very little doubt that this thread will be edited and sanitized shortly but for the time being I was wondering if anyone else has had similar things happen from orders placed?

It looks like you've spoken to someone here, but just because a drive is old doesn't mean it's used.

PATA (or IDE) drives are generally no longer in production, so we are using old stocks of drives in some instances, especially for smaller capacities.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I did speak to someone there today. In fact, they flat out told me the drive was used!!! So, that means it is Old AND Used. I know enough about computers and hard drives to know the stamp on it is from someone installing it in something. It also has Philips stamps on it yet it is a WD hard drive. Old stock is one thing, Used is another.

IDE hard drives ARE STILL IN PRODUCTION. I bought one last week brand new from a retail store. Buying smaller ones like 80Gb are getting harder to find granted but why offer them if you can't supply them?

I got the power supply fix solution from reading through the trouble shooting and ideas from the forums, that didnt work. Plus I didnt think it would be possible for a hard drive to fail in only about a year and a half of use. I have never had a server fail that fast that was in 24/7 read and write mode. Now this used and 5 year old hard drive issue. Now with you telling me its not used, just old stock but the guy on the phone telling me no, most 80Gb drives are used. Who do I believe? Why should I believe them now?

Comment

Working...
      X