No announcement yet.

Grey screen for live TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had there been any discussion with TiVo about signal strength? I wonder if maybe when the signal drops below a certain level, the TiVo goes to gray screen, and then doesn't check for an active signal again until a user changes a channel.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes, signal strength was discussed. When we put a Series 2 on the same cable line, we never have a signal strength problem or grey screen. Only the HD unit.

Changing channels sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Most of the time you have to reboot the TiVo to get it to get the signal back. Also, sometimes if you go through the signal strength setting and test the signal it makes the grey screen go away.

Comment

Well, the internal components on the S2 and the TiVo HD are pretty different.

Given the symptoms, I'd think a small investment in a cable amplifier would be a worthwhile troubleshooting step. You can usually find that kind of thing at a place like RadioShack - not my favorite place, but this is up their alley.

Comment

Grey screen

I have two of the HD TiVos, they both do this. (the grey screen)
          I have to restart them to get rid of it.
          I do not have a cable card in either.
          I do receive some HD channels on my analog cable.
          When I have the grey screens, the HD channels are the only ones that work.
          I will try the cable strength trick the next time, rebooting them takes forever.

Comment

You may have failing drives in the units.

Did the problems start in both units at the same time?

Comment

Still a problem for some

I have not seen a post on this for a while. I was told by Tivo at one point that they had issued a fix for the HD users who had cable cards, but I am unable to get cable cards here. I have two HD units and they regularly lose the live signal on the cable feeds making them useless as DVR. I was forced to get a Series 2 and use it to record everything and the HD's as simple remote playback units.

Comment

Cable companies are obligated by federal law to provide CableCARDs. Does TiVo (or your cable co) have an explanation as to why they won't provide them? Where do you live and who is your cable provider?

Comment

Fix The Grey Screen!

What is taking tivo so long to fix this problem!!!! Have had grey screen for 3 months now. After reboot (either soft or hard) live tv only lasts for maybe an hour. Just analog cable and antenna. In my opinion tivo is useless if it can't record my shows. And it can't unless I reboot it, and typically Im not at home when my shows are set to record... which is why I bought a tivo! I know Im not the only one with this problem, as these types of threads are all over the internet. What do we have to do to get them on the ball?!? It would seem as though their business model would be the detriment of thier company. How are you going to sell a service and not deliver? If they had a comparable competitor, they would be out of business. What are you waiting for tivo?

Comment

We're really thinking it's a hardware issue at this point. Have you found somewhere online where it's conclusively still considered a software issue?

Comment

On the tivo website for starters:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...23/r_id/100041

Comment

So TiVo HD - got it.

I don't know what the story is there. Sorry.

Comment

I also have the gray screen problem and have spent hrs on the phone with tech support. I've had this probem with Time Warner cable in NY and recently with Comcast cable in Fl. It happens at random. Their last recommendation was for me to install a cable card even though I have analog cable?? They finally agreed to send me a new unit but even they don't think it will resolve my issue.
                          Sounds like TIVO needs to pay a lot of attention to this issue before they loose their customer base.

Comment

Hmm - it's definitely interesting that you've had it on the same unit with two cable companies.

Comment

For what it is worth my Series 2 had the same gray or black/white issue. I chose to download the channel list and it has been color ever since. I switched cables, rebooted and nothing seemed to work. Why this worked I don't know but I've had color for 3 weeks now. Go figure.

Comment

Have gray screen problem with new Tivo XL HD

Hi. I bought a Tivo HD XL from Amazon (actually another merchant serviced my Amazon). Worked fine for a week. It has M-card from Comcast. After 1st week it basically works for maybe 1 day then the screen goes gray-- sounds like the same problem reported by many others.

I called Tivo and they said my signal strength is too high ... it reads 100 and the guy said it should be around 80... the Tivo box cannot handle signals too strong.

Has anyone heard of this and aware of a way to correct it? So far all I've been doing is painful rebooting. So basically I spent money on a box that doesn't work, cannot record etc.

Tivo said they do not provide support for units not purchased directly from them. That's another suprise to me --- it's their product.

Comment

Working...
                                X