Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to re-copy all but O/S to upgraded S3 drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to re-copy all but O/S to upgraded S3 drive?

I have several TiVos, all upgraded with larger disks. The newest is a series 3 that I put a 1TB disk in, using WinMFS, several months ago. I'm fairly unix-savvy, but don't know anything about TiVo internals.

The TiVo worked well until last week, but now it won't boot from the new disk. (stays on the "welcome, powering up" screen). The TiVo does boot and works from the original disk.

The new disk spins up, and I can read it with mfsinfo, so I think it's not totally kaput. I've tried "fixing" the boot page, again with WinMFS (both option 1 and 2), with no change. I suppose the obvious solution is to re-copy the original disk to the upgrade, but I'd prefer not to lose the programming on the upgraded disk, so I wanted to ask for advice here first...

Can I copy everything *but* the recordings partition (well, I suppose I'd like to exclude the season passes, etc., too--are those on /var?)?

I'm guessing the way to do this would be to boot with livemfs and dd the appropriate partitions from the original disk to the 1TB. Would that work, is there an easier way, etc?

Any special considerations for the partition table and boot blocks?

Is there a writeup on this somewhere? Or a better forum to ask in?

Thanks,
    Heath

No, I am not aware of a way to do that and I suspect your drive is bad. Did you test it?

Comment

Working...
    X