Upgrading from a Series 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from a Series 1

Comcast is moving many of its analog channels to digital in my area so I've decided to replace my series 1. I'm not sure what my best option is. I want the quietest setup possible.

Here are the options I am considering:
    1 - I can get an HD + lifetime time subscription for $500 from tivo to which I can add their external 1TB drive for an extra $200.
    2 - I can get a Weaknees 1 TB system + lifetime for $848.
    3 - I can get an HD + lifetime time subscription for $500 from tivo and replace their hard drive with a Weaknees HD, giving me a backup hd for the inevitable hd failure. Total Cost $750.

Option #1 is cheapest and gives full TIVO warranty, but may not be quietest. I assume fan & hd are the only noise factors. I suppose I could always upgrade the fan. How much quieter is Weaknees solution?

Our solution would definitely be quieter than #1 because the external drive adds a bit of noise. I'm not sure that our 1 TB is too much quieter than the 160 that comes in these units (it's definitely quieter, but I'm not sure how noticeable it is with the cover on).

One reason I'd prefer #2 or #3, other than giving us business, is that you have no external in the mix. I recommend avoiding externals when easily possible - they seem to get bumped or disconnected on a fairly regular basis, and that just causes problems.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the response. I decided on option #3 - get the HD + lifetime. I'll decide how to proceed with expansion after I get it. Then I'll find out how much value a series one w lifetime has on Ebay. Guess I'll replace my Sony SD with an HD. This move by Comcast to remove the analog signal for expanded basic channels is going to cost me $1000, not to mention the $7/month cablecard fee charged in my area.

Comment

Yup - always hard to know if the cable companies are trying to streamline their operations and just do away with legacy equipment, or try to squeeze extra fees from customers and, on the way, juice the economy.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X