Using TIVO remote for TV and Home Theater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using TIVO remote for TV and Home Theater

I have a Samsung LED TV (B6000) and a TIVO HD XL. The TV audio is not great and I need a Blue Ray player anyway so I am planning to buy a "home Theater in a Box" with built in Blue Ray. My highest priority is to be able to continue using the TIVO remote for everything except the DVD player. (Control Power on/off and volume)

The TIVO remote according to the instructions can be set to control volume and mute for a home theater. But it doesn't mention power on/off. TIVO supports Dolby Digital The Samsung TV supports AnyNet which I understand is their name for HDMI-CEC which allows HDMI devices to communicate (power on/off)
    So it seems like I might be able to use the TIVO remote to turn on/off the TV/HomeTheater and have the remote control the audio volume on the Home Theater and get the 5/1 digital audio. All with only the TIVO remote
    BUT does it really work that way? I was hoping that somebody has successfully setup a similar system (or tried and failed)

Thanks for any advice. John

See:

Programming a TiVo Glo Remote

Also see:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...te/r_id/100041

Comment

Thanks, I now see how to program the remote to have the power button turn on 2 devices. Although I am concerned about the problem of the buttons getting out of sync. I guess that happens when the 2 devices have different sensitivity to the infrared. I assume that having the infrared port on the TV and HBiB near each other would minimize this.

Comment

That should help.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Update:
          I finally decided to buy a Harmony 670 remote. It is somewhat like a Tivo remote and handles the switching between watching TiVo and watching a DVD.

Comment

Working...
          X