WK drive upgrade did not fix problem.. HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WK drive upgrade did not fix problem.. HELP

I have a HDVR2 series 2 DirecTV unit that is stuck at the "welcome... powering up" screen. I spoke with a rep and they felt it was the hard drive so I ordered a new hard drive and put it in and it's still happening.

After speaking to a tech (who claimed there's no way to test the power supply with a meter to see if it's failing.. which to me sounds ridiculous... I"d just have to get a new PS and see if that helped.) I tested the PS and it was outputting the proper 5 and 12 volts. Just in case the power dropped under load, I hooked up an external PS to power the hard drive and still the unit would not get past the welcome screen. The green and red lights on the drive do light. It just never gets off the welcome screen.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Can I return the WK upgrade kit? Are they going to hit me up with a restocking fee or something?
    Last edited by fruster; 09-22-2009, 02:44 PM.

Yes, you can return the kit, and yes, we have a restocking fee.

The tech is right about the power supply - even ones that test 5v and 12v can be broken. The key is the flat white cable attached to the power supply. There's no way to test if it's sending the proper signals to the motherboard without just trying a known-working power supply.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I ended up getting another Tivo unit off eBay. I tested it. It worked fine. So I swapped power supplies to see if it was the PS in my unit. Still no change. So i swapped hard drives. The other Tivo's hard drive booted in my unit, but the WK brand new upgrade drive did not boot in the other Tivo that I verified was 100% operational.

Comment

OK - please email your order number to [email protected] with this info and we'll get the drive swapped out.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X