bad drive. upgrade questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad drive. upgrade questions

I believe that my expander drive is going bad. If that is the case and I purchased the deluxe upgrade service would it still be possible to transfer my settings and programs to a new drive? Would I be able to just send the tivo drive and the expander or would I have to send the entire unit?
    Thanks

Generally, if a drive is going bad, data copy is tough to do; and the copy service is not refundable if it fails.

Comment

How tough to do is it? Are my chances for success better than 50/50? Is it worth risking 80 dollars? Also if I do decide to risk it would I be able to send just the drives(tivo and expander) or would I have to send the whole unit?
      Thanks

Comment

This is an impossible question to answer without having and testing the drive. We unfortunately cannot translate your words, "on the way out" into a % chance of success....it's just impossible to know without actually trying the copy or testing the drive.

Comment

Ok, that is fine, I just thought maybe you could judge from past experiences. Would I be able to send just the drives(tivo and expander) or would I have to send the whole tivo?
          Thanks

Comment

You can send just the drives, but we have slightly less ability to test that way.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

If I went with the dual terabyte drives would the data be striped like it is with the expander or would they be separate?

Comment

With two drives in any TiVo, the data is always intermingled between the drives.

Comment

Update: My tivo is now giving me a blue screen with a message saying that the external storage device was not detected.
                  Does this mean that the data transfer option is no longer viable or could it still have a chance of working?

Comment

Doesn't sound good. We can still try, but the likelihood of success definitely just fell.

Comment

Working...
                    X