Pixelation and dropped audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pixelation and dropped audio

I have a RCA DVR40 DirecTivo dual tuner. It's been upgraded a few times. The last time was in the past six months and I expanded to two drives. Since that time we've experienced drop outs, pixelation, loss of audio, stuttering.

The problem was only apparent on a few channels (of course, we only noticed it on the channels we watched often). Noggin, local CBS, NBC & ABC channels, and occasionally Disney.

I thought the problem was the the mutliswitch or a bad LNB since it was occasional and only on a few channels.

This evening I've done more research... the problem stays with the Tuner... Tuner 1, it does not follow the feed from the LNB (i swapped cables around) to the other tuner or other recievers. Which is good, since I thought it was drives going bad!

So the question is what can I do to confirm the Tuner is bad and / or fix the issue? If I purchase the same model from the guys here at Weakness, can I just drop my drives in?

We do have plenty of recordings on the unit that we would like to finish watching.
    Last edited by kevink; 09-25-2009, 06:20 PM.

You probably need this service:

DIRECTV TiVo Repair - Bad Tuner

If you purchase a replacement unit and move the drive, it will be more expensive and you will lose all recordings.

Comment

Thanks Jeff...

What is the typical turn around on that service?

Lets say I overnight the unit to you and you receive it on a Tuesday.

I saw that I can pick ground or expedited service.

Comment

We typically take roughly 1-4 business days for repairs. Expedited shipping will mean travel time back to you is shorter.

Comment

Thanks.. One more question.

If we decide to purchase a new (refurb) DirecTivo, and take our existing one "offline". What is the process we need to tackle with DirecTV? I assume we need to call and activate the receiver and deactivate the old one.

We did notice some issues with the 2nd tuner, and I have new 750GB drive from you guys I haven't used yet., so we are thinking for a few dollars more, get another unit to use from this point forward. The old unit would not be used for recording, just playback the recorded material we have already.

Any other issues you can think of to help us make out decision?

Comment

Right - one call to activate the new unit and deactivate the old one is all that's needed with DirecTV.

That sounds like a good plan.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Just got the refurbed unit today.

I have not called DTV yet to activate it, so that may solve the problem.

I hooked it up to see what version of software it was running and it prompted me to go through the set up. I have one of the tuners connected to the satellite, but it is not registering any signal. Will activating the card / box solve this?

Yes. I have made sure the cable I am using to connect the Tuner is a live feed from the dish.

Comment

I'm really not sure that activating it is necessary, but I do know that each unit is definitely checked for signal strength issues here before we ship.

Have you tried just checking the cables and rebooting the unit?

Comment

Yes... I've disconnected the lines that were connected to my old unit and moved them to the new unit this morning.

I rebooted (more then once) and double checked to make sure I was set to 3 LNB and both 1 & 2 and just 1 cable in.

Still get no signal with either configuration. I've checked all three satellites also

Comment

okay.. So on my original receiver I went through the guided set up to confirm everything. It took a while for the sat check to process, but all checked out.

I went back to the new receiver and tried again. In the multiswitch check is showed DiSEqC and found Sat 101, but not detected on 119 or 110.

In the signal strength test, sat 110 had good signal, but nothing on 101 or 119.

Comment

OK - sounds like we need to fix it or swap it out. So DON'T activate it, if you haven't already. That way we can do an advanced exchange.

Email us at [email protected] with your order number and we can go from there.

Comment

Just spoke with Jeff. Ordered a 2nd unit to test on my system. Will follow up with more info next week.

Comment

Working...
                        X