HD not recording the entire show as scheduled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD not recording the entire show as scheduled

I have an HD unit on which I have set up several season passes. For some reason, over the past few days the tivo has been recording only 30-45 minutes of some 1 hour shows. There are no conflicts with the season passes, there have been no power issues and the signal has been fine as I have been watching other shows while it was supposed to be taping. I cant figure out why the unit clips the programs randomly while taping full shows at other times.

Any guesses on what the problem is?

Is there anything in the recording history that shows an error?

Comment

No. there is no mention of the recording in the recording history....and everything about the recording is fine until it simply ends...it says "partial" for duration in the program information screen.

Comment

Then may be you have a cable problem with your signal. Have you ever been watching the show that was only partially recorded, as it was being recorded? Do you ever see cut-outs of the broadcast?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes. in fact it just happened. I have been recording a footbal game. it showed as recording in the now playing list. the red light on the front was on. when i selected it to play it played fine until i got to certain point.... it showed on the green status bar as if the recording ended at 2:01 when on the now playing menu it showed as still recording at 3:34. when i got to 2:01 while playing the recording the picture froze. when i tried to return to live tv all i got was a grey screen. the only way i could get a picture back was to cancel the recording. i then got live tv fine. when i went back to the now playing list to see what it said it had now changed the duration from 3:34 to 2:01.

while watching shows live i never see any obvious cut out of the broadcast. at worst the picture occasionally freezes for a few seconds and then corrects itself.

Comment

one other thing.....i have mutiple tivos and the only one that has this problem is my HD unit.

Comment

Is this the only HD unit in the house? If you have more than one, try swapping the locations.

I'd say there's a 50/50 chance this is a bad hard drive, based on these symptoms. Unfortunately, there are several other possibilities including weak cable signals and motherboard issues.

Comment

yes. its the only HD unit i have. is there any diagnostic test i could run on the hard drive to see if that is it?

Comment

Try this:

TiVo Kickstart Info

Comment

Bad e-sata port?

I have a Series 3 with an external 500GB WD MyDVR Extender. The unit reboots frequently. It was send in earlier this year for repair with the same problem and the internal HD was replaced. The unit was fine for a while but the problems started again. I tried a new e-sata cable and it was fine for a while, but when the random and somewhat frequent reboot problem returned, I removed the external drive and the unit operated normally. So I figured the drive had died and I replaced it with the same model. The Series 3 has started rebooting again. So this problem has manifested itself over 2 different WD drives and 2 different e-sata cables. Can these problems mean the e-sata port is defective? Is the internal drive failing within 6 months? Any help would be appreciated. I purchased the unit from WeaKnees and it was repaired by you under an extended warranty I purchased.

Comment

Do you have the unit connected to a UPS? See:

UPS for TiVo

Comment

Yes, the TiVo is connected to a CyberPower 685AVR UPS.

Comment

Working...
                        X