HR10-250 Optical Audio Stopped Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR10-250 Optical Audio Stopped Working

I have a DirecTV Tivo HR10-250. I'm still on the old software (3.1.5f I believe).

Audio is no longer being output through the toslink Optical Audio port.

On Saturday, we were watching a movie, and the audio kept dropping out for a second or so every couple minutes. I would back up and play the same part again, and the audio would be fine, so it obviously was not the satellite signal. I decided to try rebooting the receiver to see if that fixed the problem, which it seemed to mostly, it still had some audio drop outs but only a couple times over the next couple hours. On Sunday, I turned on the Tivo and was getting no Sound at all, I tried changing the optical audio cable, changing the audio setting from DD to Standard, rebooting again, and nothing worked. I finally unplugged it and left it unplugged for about an hour. When I plugged it back in, it would just stay on the "Welcome powering up" screen and go no further.

I had upgraded the drive when I bought the receiver, so I still had the barely used original hard drive. Yesterday I opened up the receiver, and installed the original drive. The receiver now boots up properly, but the optical audio does not work. Every couple of minutes or so it might output sound for a second or so, but mostly just outputs no sound at all. Again I tried changing the settings and using a different optical cable. Audio through the Stereo RCA ports works fine.

I would really like to get the optical audio working again, does anyone have any ideas? could I get replacement parts? Has anyone else had these problems?

Also, there are some shows recorded on the old hard drive I was wanting to watch, what suggestions for fixing this drive might anyone have? or do I need to just replace it? Was going to hook it up to my PC tonight to see if it is completely dead or still readable.

Thank you

Well, it does sound like the new drive did die.

It also sounds like your optical audio port is shot.

The first problem we can fix with a new drive; the second problem, we really can't fix.

It sounds like you had a power event there or something similar, and maybe that caused both components to fail in the same short time.

Replacement drives for your unit are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/hr10.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Well, I have the receiver hooked up to a battery backup with surge protection, and I am pretty sure I didn't have any power outages or spikes in the last few days.

So I am basically just stuck with the optical audio not working? and need to either buy a new unit or wait for the new DirecTV Tivo units to come out?

I found a broken HR10-250 on ebay which I think the optical audio still works, would I be able to take parts from that to fix mine?

I have a replacement drive (have been meaning to add it as extra storage for quite some time now), but was wondering assuming the current drive is not completely dead (can still be read in PC), is there any way to fix it so I can watch the shows before replacing it?

Also, was wondering, what is the max size HD I can put in the HR10-250 (single drive)? what is teh max size with dual drives I can put in (how big can each drive be/do they both need to be identical sizes)? can I use a SATA HD?

Thanks again,

Comment

You'd have to swap the whole motherboard from the eBay unit.

If the old drive won't boot, you're unlikely to be able to get any data from it at this point.

Max size hard drive is 1 TB - you need a SATA/IDE adapter - we have compatible ones here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-sata-to-ide-adapter.php
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Out of curiosity... Is it possible to put in two 1 TB drives? or what is max HD size with a dual drive config?

I also noticed on your website you no longer list dual drive upgrades, is there a reason for this? are they unreliable?

Comment

The largest reliable upgrade is dual 750gb, which we can custom build for you. Just send us an email using the contact form.

Comment

Working...
            X