Cloned drive wont boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloned drive wont boot

I have a DirecTV HR10-250 with software version 3.1.5f.

I am trying to clone my original Tivo drive to a new drive of the same size (250GB). My original boots fine, but the clone will not boot past the "Welcome powering up" screen (it does not seem like the drive even spins up or is accessed).

I have a Backup of my original Tivo drive that I made several years ago, and I also made a new backup yesterday.

I have tried all combinations I can think of and cannot get the clone to boot. I have tried mfsrestore from the original backup, from the new backup, and also drive to drive using a mfsbackup | mfsrestore command. I have been looking at the WeaKnees upgrade instructions (tivo.upgrade-instructions.com) and the Hindsdale how-to. The general command I am using from the WeakNees guide is (hda is a FAT32 drive with the backup files, hdc is my cd-rom, hdd is destination drive):

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
    mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -zxpi /mnt/tivo.bak /dev/hdd

I have tried this with and without the "-s 127" option, with and without the "-r 4" option with and without the "-x" option, and with and without the "-b" option. no matter the command I use it finishes, but does not boot.

I am booting from the MFSTools 2.0 CD that I burned a couple years ago.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by Swytch; 10-30-2009, 07:27 AM.

The restore command looks right. Are you using a brand new target drive? Also, what is your backup command?

Comment

Target drive is brand new, although It has been sitting in a box for about a year or so, still in the static bag unopened, until yesterday. It is a Maxtor Quickview 6L250R0 drive.

My backup command is:
      mfsbackup -f 9999 -1so /mnt/tivo.bak /dev/hdd

also of note, I usually have the jumper for the drive set to Cable Select (how orig drive was installed), but have also tried it as Master when booting.

I had the same model drive installed in the system previously but it is no longer working, which is why I am setting up this new drive. Will the Tivo only recognize certain model of Drives? Is it possible that it no longer will recognize this model or brand (even though it did before)?

I have another 250GB Maxtor Drive (different model, not quickview, don't know exactly offhand - I'm at work), that I have been using in my WinXP PC, but it is currently empty (the drive I have a FAT32 partition on for the backups currently). Do you think it would be worth it to try installing this drive?

Edit: Orig Tivo Drive is a Western Digital...
      Last edited by Swytch; 10-30-2009, 11:45 AM.

Comment

So the restore works properly and doesn't report any errors?

You should try the other drive. A Maxtor Quickview 6L250R0 is a pretty old drive - it could work fine, but it could be problematic. It was probably made about six years ago.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I get no Errors during the restore and get the completed successfully message. If I specify the "-x" option I get the message about it wasnt able to expand the drive (since it is the same as the original).

Is it possible for the drive to be bad and not usable in the Tivo, but it can still be used as a drive in my computer? It just seems odd to me that I can restore to it successfully, but the drive might be bad...

I will try the other drive tonight, It might actually be an older drive though (I think I have been using it for almost 6 years).

Comment

Originally posted by Swytch View Post
            Is it possible for the drive to be bad and not usable in the Tivo, but it can still be used as a drive in my computer?
            Yes, that is possible. Not necessarily likely, but possible.

Comment

I tried the other drive and it wont boot either. Any other suggestions?

I know I got the restore to work before, but kind of remember it taking a couple tries. Are there any command specifics for HR10-250's?

Comment

Nope - you've got the right info. Nothing special for that model.

Comment

I noticed there is a watch battery (CR2032) on the Motherboard, what is that for? could it need replaced? could it be the source of my problems?

I know PCs usually have a battery like this, but wasn't sure if the one in the Tivo was for the same purpose.

Comment

We've really never seen the TiVo battery cause any issues.

Comment

Works in other HR10-250

So a friend of mine has a HR10-250 that he let me try putting my drives in, and they booted... both of the Maxtor drives, the Upgrade that stopped booting that started all of this, and the one that was cloned from my original drive.

I noticed as soon as I plugged in the power on his unit that the drives made noises like they were being accessed, but in my receiver I did not hear this except on my original (western digital) drive.

What could be causing the drives not not be recognized in my Tivo?

Does mine just have a problem with Maxtor drives all of a sudden?

Comment

Very hard to know. You might have a bad motherboard, or you could have a bad power supply.

We have replacement power supplies here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

Or, you could try his power supply in your unit.

Comment

Working...
                        X